Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Tray Draining Very Slow

Options
  • 28-02-2010 10:35pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

My shower tray is very slow at draining all of a sudden.

Up until last week it was normal, but it is gradually getting worse and worse ie. tray filling up with water during shower and nearly reaching overspill point!

Anybody have any ideas?
    Would that Mr. Mussle drain unblocker thing be any good?

Very possible its a build up of dirt or the womans hair! Whats the best way to clean out the trap?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Have used Mr Muscle drain unblocker on shower and very effective ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

445279.ie wrote: »
    Have used Mr Muscle drain unblocker on shower and very effective ;)

Not to make you feel ill or anything, but it is mostly caused by hairs and shower gel/shampoo scum. Get a plunger and try that, works great. If that doesn't work, boil a kettle and put soda crystals down the plughole followed by lots of boiling water.

Then get Mr. Muscle or a plumber!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Yeah, know it's hair and gunk :D

But have always found Mr Muscle the most effective solution, but not the whole bottle as suggested on the label. Quarter of a bottle does the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bob2

I had the same prob lem last week and got santrex costic soda drain unblocker.You just pour it in the drain and leave it over night. The drain is flowing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

yeah, sounds like a classic blocked trap,. invest in a plunger if will come in handy esp if you or a person you live with has long hair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 50euro

Had the same problem myself. Went down to the local hardware store and got a drain un-blocker. It is an acidic product, contains 96-98% sulphuric acid. Worked very well in fairness. Quite nasty stuff though, take care if using it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi Folks I hate to ruin the illusion but mr muscle plugers and various implaments are generally unnecessary.... Sorry :D

99% of all traps are whats called easy clean trap. Get a pen and take the top off stick the back of the pen into the plug and lever the grill gently off. Then use a fork or 2 to scoop the hair and muck out. Problem solved. If your ever so jentle a fork will work on the whole lot however as a pen is plastic, generally plastic against plastic will do no damage.

Job oxo... 50 EURO call out saved. ;)

ps: If my memory serves me correct the acid bath murderer was caught because acid does not break down hair. plus it can cause a lot of damage to the surface of the shower tray.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

99% of all traps are whats called easy clean trap. Get a pen and take the top off stick the back of the pen into the plug and lever the grill gently off. Then use a fork or 2 to scoop the hair and muck out. Problem solved. If your ever so jentle a fork will work on the whole lot however as a pen is plastic, generally plastic against plastic will do no damage.

Job oxo... 50 EURO call out saved. ;)

just done this!
    my god the crap that came out! i had to kinda pry it free with the fork then pull it all out.

99% hair (the GF's!)
    and it was all joined by gunk from used shampoos, shower gels etc etc

will update if this has cleared it after tonights shower :D

Thanks for all advice received.

Advertisement