Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upload speed to your server?

Options
  • 28-02-2010 9:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭

Thinking of setting up a non profit site similar to youtube but for a niche market, i was looking at the eircom business package which is 12/2, download speed 12mb and upload speed 2 mb, my question is would this be sufficient for users to upload videos onto my server - would it be fast for them to upload? As well as having users watch videos at the same time. I would have a 2 tb server.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sacred_git wrote: »
    Thinking of setting up a non profit site similar to youtube but for a niche market, i was looking at the eircom business package which is 12/2, download speed 12mb and upload speed 2 mb, my question is would this be sufficient for users to upload videos onto my server - would it be fast for them to upload? As well as having users watch videos at the same time. I would have a 2 tb server.

Are you suggesting trying to run the site over that connection?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

Spear wrote: »
    Are you suggesting trying to run the site over that connection?

yes - am i way off the mark here? Suggestions welcome:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

yes - am i way off the mark here? Suggestions welcome:)

The 12 meg will be used by someone attempting to upload to your server. The 2 meg part will be anyone trying to view anything from the site. You don't mention how niche a market you're thinking of, but anything more than a single user at a time will consume all that bandwidth unless the video in question is very low quality.

jeez,makes you wonder how youtube started out, what would you suggest, how do i get more bandwith and at a reasonable price, if this site ever took off im thinking of maybe 500 users online, now obviously this is a big if but, if possible id like to get it right from the start!

jeez,makes you wonder how youtube started out, what would you suggest, how do i get more bandwith and at a reasonable price, if this site ever took off im thinking of maybe 500 users online, now obviously this is a big if but, if possible id like to get it right from the start!

500 simultaneous? What bit rate videos are you considering?

• Advertisement

500 simultaneous? What bit rate videos are you considering?

yes 500 simultaneous - probably 200kbps video and the site will just have audio streams as well

yes 500 simultaneous - probably 200kbps video and the site will just have audio streams as well

Then you either need to get a proper hosting contract or a CDN agreement.

Then you either need to get a proper hosting contract or a CDN agreement.
    thanks
    cdn agreement? anybody point me in the right direction to companies offering these services at an affordable price, i will have my own server, it appears the main problem is bandwith!

thanks
    cdn agreement? anybody point me in the right direction to companies offering these services at an affordable price, i will have my own server, it appears the main problem is bandwith!

One place to start asking then

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=375

Advertisement