Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Airbag warning light on!

Options
  • 28-02-2010 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭

Hey all

On Friday I was taking my ipod cable out from the back of the radio and the glove box and it got a little stuck and had a bit of a yank before I realised I may break something and carefully took it out.

Just now I start the car and I have an airbag warning light. I think I may have pulled the plug out of the back of the passenger air bag :(

Is there any way that I can inspect the airbag or the back of it through the glove box to see?

Will disableing the passenger air bag with the key kill the warning light? Ill try that now but the reason I ask is not to put it off but just to single out where the fault is.
    Any other easy fixes I could try before I have to resort to a dealer or mechanic?

Feck it anyway! :p

Regards
    bbk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Disabling the passenger airbag with the key would put on the light regardless. I'd say it will still have to be plugged in to reset the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

Turns out there is no key control to deactivate the passenger bag.

Feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I would disconnect the plug and reconnect it. I've read about this thing happening and that was the solution. Worth a try and will cost nothing.

Hal1 wrote: »
    I would disconnect the plug and reconnect it. I've read about this thing happening and that was the solution. Worth a try and will cost nothing.

Thats what I was hoping to do but I have no clue of where the plugs are.
    Research isnt helping me.

Is there any easy way into the passenger air bag connecter thingy?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

bbk wrote: »
    Thats what I was hoping to do but I have no clue of where the plugs are.
    Research isnt helping me.

Is there any easy way into the passenger air bag connecter thingy?

Thanks

It should be under the seat, be carefull unplugging it.

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »
    It should be under the seat, be carefull unplugging it.

The one in the dash board is the one I mean, unless that is infact the connection that has to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

The light will not reset itself.

It will have to be turned off using diagnostics.

The plug under the seats also gives trouble in these especially in the 2 doors where the seat is moved alot. The pins come loose in the plug and it only takes a fraction of a second of a fault to put on the light

Do you know how easy it is to find or how to get to the plug?
    Ill have to do it tomorrow in the light.

Airbag plugs are easy to spot as they are yellow.

Hmm, the two plugs under the seats seemed to be fine.
    Im going to a friend of mine who is gonna stick it into the computer and see what the craic is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Clean the connectors thoroughly.If you can get someone with a computer to clear it .Otherwise disconnect your battery overnight and it should clear it in the ecu.Make sure you have your radio code before doing this.I presume its a mkiv golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Moanin wrote: »
    Clean the connectors thoroughly.If you can get someone with a computer to clear it .Otherwise disconnect your battery overnight and it should clear it in the ecu.Make sure you have your radio code before doing this.I presume its a mkiv golf?

thats what i am thinking,
    baiscally give the system a re-boot and re-initialise the system...
    if that doesnt work...
    you will need to plug it into a diagnostic system

Thanks for the replies lads.

It is indeed the mark 4 Golf.

I am bringing it to a friends garage after college and we are gonna put it into the computer to see if the fault can be reset. We will take a proper look at the connecters too though.

Im really unclear on this though, where is the connecter for the dash board (passengerside) air bag or is there one?

I dont have the stock radio in the car anymore but thanks for the advice on the code. But, I remember having to mess with the radio before and it said it was in safe mode but after a few seconds it seems to talk to the ECU and then realise it hasnt been stolen and it would work after that.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Ill be glad to get it sorted it. Its running perfectly besides. Gonna get the cruise control retrofitted one of the weeks too.

EDIT:
    Does the total mileage get reset if you leave the battery out for too long? Tis my fear of leaving the thing unplugged for too long. I have a good feeling it doesnt though. Only the trip gets reset.
    Regards
    bbk

No the mileage doesn't get reset anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The light should not have come on if you had the keys removed from the ignition and disconnected the battery negative before starting the job.

As Slidey said earlier, you'll need a diagnostic tool to erase the fault.

crosstownk wrote: »
    The light should not have come on if you had the keys removed from the ignition and disconnected the battery negative before starting the job.

As Slidey said earlier, you'll need a diagnostic tool to erase the fault.

I havent done anything to try and fix the problem except for check the plugs.
    Its going for diagnostic tomorrow though :)

Fingers crossed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

How did you get on?

Hah, just as I got my hope up to get an answer to it all I was told that their diagnostic computer was on the frits and we will have to wait.

The upside is, im off for a few days now, almost a week so I wont have to endanger myself having no airbag system.

And to add to that, when I put it into reverse and get biting point the reverse lights flicker haha.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

afaik the airbag system still works even with the warning light on.

There are a few lads on vagdrivers with vag-com, they would prob reset the light for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

voxpop wrote: »
    afaik the airbag system still works even with the warning light on.

There are a few lads on vagdrivers with vag-com, they would prob reset the light for you.

Yes you are right. bbk if you are any near Navan i've got vag-com can erase the dtc in five minutes. It is possible that when you were tuggin around you may have hit some of the plugs causing a small spike which brought on the dtc.
    Once cleared - if it comes back on it'll be a connection problem etc. Also tampering with the fuses eg. fan will also cause dtc's.

Dj

• Advertisement

Thanks for the offer, Im near Kilcock on the N4 so a jaunt to Navan wouldnt be out of the question.

I was actually paying rent today for my rehersal studio and the landlord has a load of mechanics renting off him too and he is one himself and when I got talking about it he said one of the other tenents does a lot of VAG work and they should have a diagnostics medoodlething.

Ill keep you offer in mind though!

Thanks all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

No worries................;)

So, I just happened to come across a guy with a diagnostics yokie and he cleared the following codes:

00532 Power Supply voltage
    Signal too weak
    01222 Passenger side shock sensor
    Faulty
    01222 Passenger side shock sensor
    Short circuit to GND.

Cleared the codes, had about 30 mins of driving since and the light hasnt come back.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I recently got my airbag lights turned off in my punto 1.2. It only took a few minutes and only cost me a measly 10euro to get it done. The mechanic told me if it comes back on that he would replace some part but luckily it hasn't. That was two weeks ago.

Mine popped back on today.

WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

I need to figure out which sensors the fault codes are concerning so I can have a floodle around to see whats up.

Yeah Galwaydude, it seems like Ill have to get summet replaced or fix it up myself, well, I wouldnt trust myself with that job considering its part of the airbag system.

I had a mooch under the passenger seat and the yellow plug seems to be in a good state.

No obvious problems, wires seem in good order and secure.

Its a tough part to get at but would it be worth snipping the wires and connecting them back up with these?
    orange%20connectors.JPG

I cant remember the name of those yokes but I do wire things up a lot.

I've always known them as chocolate bar connectors :o

I would cut and solder the wires. It will be a better and sturdier connection albeit a pain in the arse if you need to remove it at a later stage

Slidey wrote: »
    I've always known them as chocolate bar connectors :o

I would cut and solder the wires. It will be a better and sturdier connection albeit a pain in the arse if you need to remove it at a later stage
    Haha, that name could stick!
    It would be a pain in the arse to solder that without moving the seat.

There is feck all I can do this week so I may get that cheapo diagnostic cable I was talking about in another thread, do the work, clear it up and see what the craic is.

There is a small and annoying list of two things I need sorted soon now. Bah humbug!

Thanks
    bbk

bbk wrote: »
    Haha, that name could stick!
    It would be a pain in the arse to solder that without moving the seat.

There is feck all I can do this week so I may get that cheapo diagnostic cable I was talking about in another thread, do the work, clear it up and see what the craic is.

There is a small and annoying list of two things I need sorted soon now. Bah humbug!

Thanks
    bbk

Got it sorted. I took the seat out and cut the wires to take the plug out. Used those chocolate bar connector things. I would have soldered it but I got a bit lazy.

I inspected the plug and there was a bit of play. About half a millimetre so Id say contributed to the problem along with a problem with the wires itself.

I'm just back from a 15 mile jaunt across some of North Kildares bumpiest roads and the light has not come back on.

Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

70 more miles, tis sorted now :)

Dont worry, I wont be updating every 70 miles haha.

Advertisement