Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY is killing me slowly....

Options
  • 28-02-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

OMG I can't take TY anymore. The teachers don't show up, theres no trips, we do nothing in class, I've forgotten everything from 3rd year. It is so boring I can't even explain it. I am dreading going in tomorrow? How do I cope with the mindnumbing boredom???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Bring a book to read
    or your ipod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Yeah, a couple days ago I came in sat down ready for double home-ec...

Teacher wasn't in. We were not allowed listen to Ipods etc, and the teacher who came in to supervise kept telling us to take out some work(WE HAVE NO ****ING WORK).

Then I had a class of maths, but half the class was missing doing gaisce so we couldn't do anything new... we had a free class-no ipods.
    Then after break we had English where we watched a film which we all hated, something to do with some stupid Italian boy... I hate Italy. Then we had double dance... teacher was taking the other TY class to see some film or something. No Ipods allowed, we still were told that "You must have some work to do".
    After lunch we had triple "Know Your Dublin" guess what?

The ****ing teacher was out...

But here's the kicker, on mondays we have a class where we have to write out what we did the previous week(Wtf is the point of that?) and so we basicly have copies with maybe 3 lines per week in them.

God thats terrble
    I feel for ya

are ya allowed books?

Books are allowed... but who brings books into school.

• Advertisement

Its great if you're bored it passes the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

We just have the same classes we'll have in Fifth Year, so nothing extravagant. The teachers show up, but for both they and the students who bother to go to class, it's an extended lunch break. There's usually enough extra-curricular stuff going on though that you don't get so bored as to not want to go in the next day.

Though I will admit everything I knew for the JC is now gone. Next September I'll be starting from a clean slate, which I'm looking at as a good thing, but which is actually a very, very bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

that must be boring!!! I have only one teacher who doesn't really do anything, but a double class sitting around doing nothing once a week isn't the end of the world!!!

Did everyone you ask say TY was the best thing ever? Cause that's what I got from everyone I asked.

I think TY is the best thing I am enjoying the year

• Advertisement

I guess it just differs from school to school and person to person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Vampmcdxoxo

ever thougt about using all that spare time for trying a new hobby or takin up a old one?? or maybe,ok this sounds boring but it might help,maybe source out some leaving cert books and have a glance at them...let yourself no what ur in for..:)

Im doing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Vampmcdxoxo

coldwood92 wrote: »
    Im doing that

good for u!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hermunkla

OMG I can't take TY anymore. The teachers don't show up, theres no trips, we do nothing in class, I've forgotten everything from 3rd year. It is so boring I can't even explain it. I am dreading going in tomorrow? How do I cope with the mindnumbing boredom???
    I work in the education sector and the problems you have are down to management. Usually a Teacher (not always the Principal) has a post of responsibility to manage the TY year/programme. A well organised TY programme will have trips, projects like School magazine,video-dvd project or indeed a project suggested by the students or indeed you could come up with one yourself. However, as the year is now short on time, you are probably limited to what you can start. The person in charge is being paid extra to organise TY so you are being short changed. It is only a personal opinion but having spent 20 yrs. in education it is my estimation that TY was created because students usually laid down after the Junior Cert. in fifth yr. and before they knew it they were faced with the Leaving Cert. So TY was created to be the year to lie down and then get the students motivated again in 5th. yr. Of course I stand to be corrected on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Scuba fran

i really recommend a hobby.
    im not musical and cant sing so i didnt get to do much in ty cause most of it was making a musical - grease....so i took up scuba diving:), now qualified with c.f.t. and have done 15 dives, one of them was to 30 metres and during another i was like 2 feet away from a 6foot conger eel.

or else take up a less expensive hobby as my money reserves are running low...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭BIGButters

Sounds exactly what happened with my year only diffrence was we payed money for the trips and yet we still never went, and that was a lot of money mind you

thats terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

lucky for some! :D
    TY was designed so students could take a break after the junior cert!!!
    Can't say why you're complaining tbh :confused: Who wouldn't want some free classes?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Gaeilge-go-deo

After working to hard for the JC, reading your 'complaints' about ty make me so excited to go back to school :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 NnaYllek

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    lucky for some! :D
    TY was designed so students could take a break after the junior cert!!!
    Can't say why you're complaining tbh :confused: Who wouldn't want some free classes?! :confused:

To be honest before I did TY and I saw peoples complaints about how they had nothing to do and stuff I thought the exact same thing. But now I`m in TY I hate it. I never go in. My biggest regret I ever made was to do it. I dread school more then I did going in at the end of 3rd year and it was all work. I hate it so much its unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

Im in 3rd year now and im not doing ty next year. Reading this has kind of reassured me, most of my friends are doing ty and when i tell people im not doing it theyre always like 'oh my god why not?'. Ty used to be good in my school, lots of trips and things to do. But with the cutbacks there has been no trips abroad this year and pretty crappy ones. A girl i know in ty said half of them are dissapointed, its not as good as what they thought it would be. Im sad leaving most of my friends behind, but im not going to stall my life for a year for something i dont want to do. Also if theres no academic work for a year im pretty sure my brain would turn to mush:D im so glad im old enough to skip ty. So yeah just thought i would say thanks to everyone for giving an honest view on TY:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm in 5th year now (just hanging round the TY section :P) at the above poster, you're as well off leaving it. I gained nothing from doing it other than work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

Thanks crayolastereo. When i say im not doing TY, people are always kinda shocked. Im quite academic, and im not an 'i hate school so much' type. But i do feel like i wouldnt gain much. People's reactions are similar to what i expect i would get if i said 'im dropping out of school'.
    Im just sad most of my friends are doing ty, but its my life and im not going to wait a year for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

ciara95 wrote: »
    Thanks crayolastereo. When i say im not doing TY, people are always kinda shocked. Im quite academic, and im not an 'i hate school so much' type. But i do feel like i wouldnt gain much. People's reactions are similar to what i expect i would get if i said 'im dropping out of school'.
    Im just sad most of my friends are doing ty, but its my life and im not going to wait a year for them.
    I wish I had considered skipping TY. I'm old enough that I would have fitted in fine in 5th year. The only reason I felt the need to do TY was because everyone else was doing it and I didn't want to be a new year on my own. That is not to say TY is bad. Some parts are extremely enjoyable and I have learn a lot, but too much of it is left to doing nothing at all and there have been massive deteriorations in my languages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

One of the plusses of TY is that if it is run properly in a school, a lot of it is student-driven and organised. From all the moaning here it seems like most of you just sit and wait to see what the teacher will do.
    There's only so much blaming of other people you can do in life.

spurious wrote: »
    One of the plusses of TY is that if it is run properly in a school, a lot of it is student-driven and organised. From all the moaning here it seems like most of you just sit and wait to see what the teacher will do.
    I have tried to get involved in as much as possible. I've joined every initiative and program set up during TY. I'm the head of a video team who records sporting events for the school. I'm been in touch with Munster about their student video work system. I made a ski tour DVD single handedly. I've asked numerous times to get involved in the school website maintenance. I made a very impressive Spanish video project. I ran a mini enterprise which came 3rd in the Limerick County Senior Category (out of 25 teams). I'm close to completing my ECDL test. I'm preparing for my Theory Test. I've been to talks by teachers about the re-establishment of a St. Vincent de Paul society in the school. I'm meant to do the sound for the school's talent show (which involves learning from scratch). I joined the debate team. We haven't been able to organise a blitz or anything yet as they are given on a class basis and mine hasn't gotten one yet. I'm partaking in the Fast Frirnds programme, which pairs a student with a disabled child of a similar age to work with. With that, I've gotten a great response from both Steven (my fast friend) and his parents who sent a letter thanking me for all my work with him as he has expanded his very limited vocabulary and telling me that gets excited every Wednesday morning because he is looking forward to seeing me. I was also in a programme to encourage children from disadvantaged areas to continue into 2nd level education though a weekly meet up for games, etc.

I'd hardly call that sitting and waiting for something to happen.

EDIT: I've found it is the people who sit around all day messing who enjoy TY the most. It's the people who want to get involved in projects that seem disappointed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Thats not a fair statement to make. There are only so many things you can do and organize by yourself, you still have to go to class and do what the teacher says, which is very often feck all. All of our ideas were turned down for being unsuitable, too expensive or not covered by insurance. These weren't even big complicated ideas, they were all very basic and cheap.

Thats not a fair statement to make. There are only so many things you can do and organize by yourself, you still have to go to class and do what the teacher says, which is very often feck all. All of our ideas were turned down for being unsuitable, too expensive or not covered by insurance. These weren't even big complicated ideas, they were all very basic and cheap.
    No matter how many things you organise yourself, they still only take up a small fraction of the year, so you are still required to go to most classes which means sitting around doing nothing. If you are out of class every day, the teachers start to give out about you never coming to class, even though you do nothing in their class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 NnaYllek

I understand what you mean but I can only speak for my school when I say this. We`re allowed organize few things. Because of every excuse going. If you didnt get a part in the school musical or are on a sports team then you cant do anything. Our last years TY did loads of stuff. And when we suggest things similar we get turned down. Theres only so much students can do without adult help and permission.

Advertisement