Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can all high tops have beds?

Options
  • 28-02-2010 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi all,
    I am looking at buying a vw t4 camper. There is one advertised as 2 berth with a hightop. It looks like the high top is used for storage and has doors on it. It's hard to see from the pics how much room is up there.
    My question is, can all hightops be modified to take a bed up there or are some designed just for storage over the bed area?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Some high-tops are standing room only and some that are meant to take beds are so low that they are kids only (or for those adults that are afraid of wide open spaces :D)

The only proper way to find out is to see it for yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Mahogony

Thanks Peasant,
    Is there a recommended minimum headspace for a kids bed? I don't want to kid myself that it's big enough if its not.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Once again, the only way to be really sure is to try it ...and to see if your kids like it.
    Besides the actual height there is also the question of access. Are your kids young enough to be lifted up there or old enough to climb up themselves ..if so, is there enough space to turn around, etc

The little man is only 8 months so I'm thinking a few years down the line. For now he will sleep down with us.
    I will take a measurement when I go and look at it and see would I be happy to climb up there.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭salamander27

When I got our camper i took out some of the storage to make a slide out bed for the little ones who were five and two at the time. The space was 45cm high with 10cm thick cot matresses and the space is getting a little tight for the now seven year old. I hope getting a thinner matress might let us get another fews years out of it (She's growing awful fast!).
    Anyway if I could i'd remake the bed to give a 60cm high space which would probably be more comfy for them and they could entertain themselves in the mornings without getting in each others way!

• Advertisement

Thanks Salamander27,
    That's really helpful, It will give me an idea what to look for.
    Wish me luck, this could be the camper of my dreams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Hello Mahogony, I have a VW T4 Hightop with a slide out bed.I don't use it as a camper anymore as I now have a larger more comfortable Fiat Ducky. My two teenage daughters slept in it for many years and I just now asked them what they thought of it ,and they said it was fine. I don't have the height to hand but i think it had about 18 inches breathing space,(Headroom) with a skylight. I don't recall any problem with access. Now that I have the bigger camper they don't want to come,all par for the course. My VW is not for sale .Good hunting.............................................b

Thanks a million Boyoh, thanks for asking your teenagers for me.
    I'm a black and white type person so it's great to have a recommended height to compare to.

When I was younger my parents had a series of T25's and as soon as they got their (massive) Hymer I stopped going camping with them. Its come full circle now, as soon as the little man arrives I want to get a vw, if we ever upsize he may be too old to come with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Mahogony,

Some converters use Hitops which they describe as "Sleeper roofs". Other converters use High Tops that will accommodate very young children.
    There is also the option of a cab bed arrangement in some VW conversions which I think works well for younger babes.
    As Peasant says , you really have to look around to see which suits best.

unfit

Advertisement