Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Starting to chase cars!!

Options
  • 28-02-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi have 6 month old cocker recently he has started chasing traffic.how do I get him to stop? Any info would be great.would like to nip this in the bud asap thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Is it fair to ask how he's getting out onto the road? Are you just letting him wander around outside? If you are then you're being very irresponsible letting him out. He should have an enclosed run and at the very least a closed gate to keep him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

Yes he has a run and the gate is always closed! Its when he is on the lead and cars pass he wants to tear off after them.Im trying to get him to sit until they drive bye he has only started this in the last 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

You need to bring dog treats with you. every time a car goes past call your dogs name and give it a treat . You will notice your dog will focus more on you then cars . Its simple Obedience training really . Also when walking your dog along a road you should have you dog by your left leg which is the Heal position . That way you are inbetween your dog and the road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

What MH has said is the best idea. When a car drives past, you need to be able to distract the dog's attention from the car and focus it on you. When a car is approaching call the dog's attention, ask him to sit, and give him a treat when he listens to you and gives his attention to you rather than the car.

There's been lots of TV programmes on this type of training, especially those that are based in the States, and all trainers stress the importance of getting the dog to focus on the owner rather than the passing dog/person/car.

You're right to try and nip this in the bud rather than letting it develop further and only trying to do something when it's got out of hand. There's a little terrier near us at home and the lady who walks him never tries to stop him from chasing cars (even though he's on the lead). It's become so bad that if she sees me out on the horse she has to run to the closest gateway and walk quite a way into the field so that he can't upset the horse. It can't be a pleasant situation for her.

However, if you find that your attempts to solve the problem aren't working, don't be afraid to seek a trainer's advice. Best of luck, and hope it works out for you and your dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

elainee wrote: »
    Yes he has a run and the gate is always closed! Its when he is on the lead and cars pass he wants to tear off after them.Im trying to get him to sit until they drive bye he has only started this in the last 2 weeks

Oh that's a relief so! I can only reiterate what was said above, I had same problem with my fella so it was a matter of treats and sometimes just stopping the walk altogether until he calmed down. He soon learned it didn't pay to launch himself at the cars. I also found that as he was probably feeling threatened I always had a big stupid smile on my face to let him know all was ok with the world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

We made the very big mistake of letting our last pup out in the front yard to run. Needless to say he was small enough to get out through the gates and infront of a car. Some years later we have a new pup and he definately won't be getting out unless he's on a lead or supervisored. They should be considered as children until trained!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

All i can say is echoing what has been said. The reason you dog is chsing the cars in the first place is because car wheels (and some bicycle wheels) when moving at speed make a high pitched whirring noise, which annoys the hell out of some dogs and others can just ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

All i can say is echoing what has been said. The reason you dog is chsing the cars in the first place is because car wheels (and some bicycle wheels) when moving at speed make a high pitched whirring noise, which annoys the hell out of some dogs and others can just ignore.

I agree, plus when the dog see the object going away from him, he thinks he has caused the car to flee him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

You need to get this sorted asap, my dog died from chasing cars :(
    Anyway, bring a spray bottle (like a window cleaner bottle) filled with water when you're going on the walk. Once he goes to chase the car, spray him (lightly, I mean, don't soak him) and say no and walk on. He won't like it at all and will stop after 2 - 3 times. Did this with my dog scratching at the doors. First time, he walked out into the back hall and wouldn't come in!
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Germag

Unlike Most Haunted I walk my dogs facing the oncoming traffic which means that they are at my right heal and are easer to control when a car is aproaching. I live in the country and the roads are narrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So glad that you are tackling this.

In rural areas, so many "Irish suicide dogs" hurtling towards the car.

Our rescued collie was one such. And we have never managed to get recall on her when there is a car around.

Thankfully we have a field here to run her in and a secure gate and fence so she can race along inside to her heart's content.

But along the lane here there are at least three collies who seem intent on giving me a heart attack. No gate etc

Good luck with the wee one.

Advertisement