Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door locks

Options
  • 28-02-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question, moved into a rented house a few weeks ago, everything grand except my bedroom door and the adjacent bathroom have no keys for their doors, the main room with the ensuite has, as do the rooms downstairs so obviously the previous tenants just lost them, looked all over but cant find them, theres just me and a friend living here, but it would be nice to be able to lock my bedroom and bathroom door, especially if we ever have people over, or if my girlfriend is staying and wants a bit more privacy.Its not like he'd ever walk in on us, but even if we were going away for a few days I'd prefer to be able to lock my room in case of a break in, my ps3, tv and entire dvd collection is in there. So should the landlord get a replacement lock, or if i call a locksmith should I send her the bill? seems a pretty standard request that you can lock your bedroom door without having to pay extra for it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You could go to a hardware and get some of the standard keys. Their about a euro or so each. If you bring one or two of the other keys, they are probably similar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

If you know what tyoe of lock is on the door, e.g. Basta or Union, you can get a replacement. Most locksmiths will have a complete set of keys for the type of lock which, once you've paid a deposit, you can bring home and try in the lock. Then you can bring them back and get some of the keys cut. It would work out cheaper than buying a new lock.

The other option is swapping locks with another room in the house for which there is a key. I did that when I moved into the last house I lived in. Obviously you'd need to check with your housemate(s) before doing it, to check they were ok with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

krudler wrote: »
    So should the landlord get a replacement lock, or if i call a locksmith should I send her the bill? seems a pretty standard request that you can lock your bedroom door without having to pay extra for it?

Are you and your friend leasing the house or are you renting a room direct from the landlord. If it's rented on a room by room basis then I would expect a lock. if the pair of you are renting the house then I don't think the landlord would be expected to provide room keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should be able to get a lock for an internal door for €20 and they are relatively straightforward to swap, all you need is a screwdriver.

Strictly speaking, you can't change locks without the landlord's permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Victor wrote: »
    You should be able to get a lock for an internal door for €20 and they are relatively straightforward to swap, all you need is a screwdriver.

Strictly speaking, you can't change locks without the landlord's permission.

+1 and you can't buy something for the house and send the landlord the bill without consulting them either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement