Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genetics?

Options
  • 28-02-2010 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hey everyone,
    Hope some of you can help! I'm in SF Science and am thinking about what to do next year. I think I want to do genetics. Does anyone here do it? What can you tell me about it? I've looked on the genetics website but there's not much info. Do you think many people will have it as their first choice? I know there's only 14/15 places :( What results should I be trying to get? Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Gen10 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    Hope some of you can help! I'm in SF Science and am thinking about what to do next year. I think I want to do genetics. Does anyone here do it? What can you tell me about it? I've looked on the genetics website but there's not much info. Do you think many people will have it as their first choice? I know there's only 14/15 places :( What results should I be trying to get? Thanks for any advice

I'm only a first year so I'm not sure if they give this out or anything but have you read the SF booklet? (Link here) seems to talk about genetics in depth. My S2S mentor also mentioned to us awhile back that Genetics's is popular but not to the same effect as say neuro so it's supposedly relatively easy to get into. But as you know this changes year to year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

My girlfriend does it, she is in her 4th year, and she loves it. Tons of lab work in 4th year for the thesis and some fascinating stuff... Apparently lecturers are brilliant too, not a weak one among them.

When she was applying it wasnt even her first choice, i think she had neuro above it, but got genetics instead as the placements were for neuro that year :S Saying that, she has never regretted sticking at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Gen10

Thanks for the replies! Glad to hear that she likes it, neuroscience and physiology seem to be the popular ones in my year but I wouldn't be interested in doing them at all really so hopefully I'll get genetics :) Does anyone know if it'd be all just about transcription and translation and all that stuff or are there parts on evolution and other things? I'd be more interested in that side of things rather than the molecular parts!

yes, there is plenty of stuff on evolution - the review she had to do in her third year was on the evolution of sight and the eye! Plenty of Darwin ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Gen10

Oh that's great, that's my kinda stuff! Thanks so much for the reply :)

• Advertisement

No problem, anything else, ill relay the questions on to her and get you a reply if needed.

Though if you have any question im sure going to one of the heads of the dept would help - Kevin Devine is probably your man, sound chap, should help you well with any queries.

Advertisement