Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 TB of information in the human brain

Options
  • 28-02-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭

I noticed they updated this figure in the pilot aired on Sky 1 a few weeks back from 100MB in the original pilot -the part where
    'computer' Zoe meets her father and explains what she is and how she got all the information to create her.
    The reason I noticed is because I remember thinking at the time 100 MB was very low:eek:
    In jest I have often compared my brain to a computer, in particular when I have overwritten some old information to make space for some new stuff:p, but thought it was an interesting concept. 100 TB sounded more believable but was wondering is this a realistic figure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 somuj_2

I'd say a 100mb is more than ample to store a persons personality. But to store the sum of ones knowledge would def require a TB or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

they'd be pretty shallow people with only 100meg man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Quote Bill Gates "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
    :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

they'd be pretty shallow people with only 100meg man!

Maybe southsiders........

I actually thought it was pretty cool when they said 100MB. The fact that it was counterintuitively (sp?) small. I mean it would have been easy to say something like one point twentyone jigga....er....bytes. Thought the 100MB, strangely, made it less likely to age badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I think 100TB is way WAY too low an estimate.
    There's about 10^11 neurons and about 10^15 synaptic connections.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain

But I think thats not just it. You also must consider that every cell is in constant interaction with its environment and signals are being passed continually into and out of the nucleus of the cell and interacting with the DNA and switching on and off genes etc. In short its very difficult to quantify. Its also very difficult to say what is relevant information and whats not. For example each cell will share the vast majority of their DNA - BUT not all of it, and those differences, or some of them at least are probably important.
    Apparently one DNA molecule contains about 750MB of data.

You can see where this is going. 10^11 neurons, ONLY the nucleus of each contains 750MB - the rest of the cell contains more data and between these cells there are 10^15 connections.

This all = a serious serious seriously larger amount of data than 100TB and smoke coming out of my ears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,303 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think 100TB is way WAY too low an estimate.
    There's about 10^11 neurons and about 10^15 synaptic connections.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain

But I think thats not just it. You also must consider that every cell is in constant interaction with its environment and signals are being passed continually into and out of the nucleus of the cell and interacting with the DNA and switching on and off genes etc. In short its very difficult to quantify. Its also very difficult to say what is relevant information and whats not. For example each cell will share the vast majority of their DNA - BUT not all of it, and those differences, or some of them at least are probably important.
    Apparently one DNA molecule contains about 750MB of data.

You can see where this is going. 10^11 neurons, ONLY the nucleus of each contains 750MB - the rest of the cell contains more data and between these cells there are 10^15 connections.

This all = a serious serious seriously larger amount of data than 100TB and smoke coming out of my ears

Hmmm, interesting.

nerd.jpg

:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Saganist wrote: »
    Quote Bill Gates "640K ought to be enough for anybody."
    :D:D:D:D:D

LOL!...tbf....at the time he was right, no one could have predicted the explosion in RAM or storage needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 somuj_2

I've never meet anyone with a full brain so it dosent really matter what the capacity it. I've a 500 gig hardrive but only 100gig of information on it.

Advertisement