Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from RC

Options
  • 28-02-2010 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have the Windows 7 RC on my laptop but it expires on March 1st.

Is there anyway of purchasing an upgrade to Windows 7 online from MS, or do I have to buy a physical copy of it?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

AFAIK you can't upgrade from the RC to the RTM version so you'll have to reinstall anyway.

In terms of buying it, you can buy it online from Microsoft here (UK store). If you can wait for a physical product, you might get a better price from the likes of Amazon or Play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

Fysh wrote: »
    AFAIK you can't upgrade from the RC to the RTM version so you'll have to reinstall anyway.

Correct :) but for an FYI it is possible to do an upgrade of the RC to RTM but trust me from experience, you will have more trouble than its worth down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I suspect that falls foul of the "No Hacks" rule, TBH, and given that MS themselves advise against upgrading from the RC to the RTM version I reckon taking the hit now and doing a full reinstall will avoid future headaches that may be introduced by trying to follow an unsupported process...

Advertisement