Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!!Need Advice on Cheap flights To Thailand!!

Options
  • 28-02-2010 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

grettings all

straight to the point:

i am on a desperately tight budget, have saved for 2 months and starved myself of drink (imagine lads) and things, saving up like a champion. For F**K sake it's half 12 Saturday night and i'm writing this! point made.

But with visas (ok only one) and Vaccinations and travel insurance i am seriously down (about 600). I should have saw the vaccs coming in fairness. ohhh Very depressing. I need to skimp on the flights somehow. dates of travel are 25-29th of march, but can be altered a little. preferably London to thailand, return in 6 months, september or something.

so......Does anyone know a cheap way of getting to Thailand from London or Dublin?? Or possibly some cheap route inside Europe. I heard somewhere that Thailand is cheap to fly to because of some legislation in Thailand.

there must be some way, some poxy airline around somewhere? I have been quotes silly prices (i.e low) by some places when you type 'cheap flights london to bangkok' into Google, i'm finding 360, 450 pounds return dates 25th march 2010 returning 20th September 2010. I am overwhelmed with gratitude, only to find these are estimates when you go on the actual companies (such as Kuwait, qutar etc.) they are at least double the price. AHHHH!!!

Dohop.com quotes different. I just don't know:confused:

I could go on but i'll see if you frugal travelers have any tips, this route is well traveled so i am reasonably confident someone will have some helpful advice.

Any advice whatsoever is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

JACK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

www.momondo.com
    www.flightscanner.net
    www.amadeus.net
    www.usit.ie

I dont think you'll find prices as low as you like this far in advance. Go to every airlines website and check their specials. Then the tour operators etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

fluffer wrote: »
    www.momondo.com
    www.flightscanner.net
    www.amadeus.net
    www.usit.ie

I dont think you'll find prices as low as you like this far in advance. Go to every airlines website and check their specials. Then the tour operators etc.

thanks for the reply fluffer!

I know what you mean, i found a return flight there 540 pounds return Jet airways, i'd take that 600 euro is a fair price return.
    the only thing is, as you mentioned about advance booking, would there be anything to be said for booking two single flights near the date of travel, is it known for flights to go very low if not full very close to date (1 week)?

sorry if i seem like a dope, i do little international flying.
    Again any help is great folks

and while i'm at it what about a vietnamese visa? i can get one here but Have to send away to London, takes 3 weeks, and i want to head in 3-4. also dates are then fixed on visa so is it better to get one over there, and can you get one for a month or only 2 weeks?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Try China Airlines via amsterdam........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

and while i'm at it what about a vietnamese visa? i can get one here but Have to send away to London, takes 3 weeks, and i want to head in 3-4. also dates are then fixed on visa so is it better to get one over there, and can you get one for a month or only 2 weeks?

thanks

You can get the Vietnamese visa once you are in Thailand and depending on how much you want to pay for it you can have it really quickly (as in a day or 2).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

I believe http://www.airasia.com/ are a pretty cheap way to do it.
    London - Kuala Lumpur - Bangkok.

Bon voyage.

I got flights there for 450 euro return, eithad, London to bangkok via Dubai.

Used Momondo.com (dohop.com is also great but just not as good) brilliant website. I forget who told me about it but THANKS!!!

JAK

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

do not mean to be a smart ass but these sites will give you the travel agency prices.momondo.com is a great site but it has to add on a surcharge and this is near enough impossible to avoid try below to see, broaden you search monthly

http://matrix2.itasoftware.com/

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Check out airasia,they often do cheap flights out that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Wyatt01

There are many airliners that are offering very low prices for their flights. This is because the recession has affected the economy enormously and people are on a tight budget. You can search online to find great offers on cheap flights.

• Advertisement

http://www.vietnamstay.com/service/

Use the above website for your visa. They can normally do it on a few days notice. You want the Visa on arrival service. Using this service you pay them a fixed amount dependent on the type of visa you want. They then get an approval letter for you from the Vietnamese government. You show that letter when you are boarding your flight to get onboard and then again in immigration to get your visa. Remember the visa fee itself you pay over the counter in the airport. Its certainly not hassle free as you'll see, but its far better than having to go to an embassy or send your passport in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

I believe http://www.airasia.com/ are a pretty cheap way to do it.
    London - Kuala Lumpur - Bangkok.

Bon voyage.

This , Apparently most people miss out on Air Asia because they don;t show up in any of the searches normally ie flight scanner.

Don't know if this is true or not - Just something I heard somewhere, on the other side of the World, at some stage, some amount of years ago :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

http://www.vietnamstay.com/service/

Use the above website for your visa. They can normally do it on a few days notice. You want the Visa on arrival service. Using this service you pay them a fixed amount dependent on the type of visa you want. They then get an approval letter for you from the Vietnamese government. You show that letter when you are boarding your flight to get onboard and then again in immigration to get your visa. Remember the visa fee itself you pay over the counter in the airport. Its certainly not hassle free as you'll see, but its far better than having to go to an embassy or send your passport in the post.

The easier option is getting it at the embassy in Bangkok or in the embassies in Cambodia(Phonm Penh).

Get up in the morning hail a Tuk Tuk and ask him to bring you to the Vietnamese embassy. $1 or $2 dollars. Bring your passport and $30-$35. Fill out the forms at the embassy and return that evening for you visa.

We got it in Phnom Penh. What we did though was, hire a Tuk Tuk for the day. $6. He took us to the Chu Chi tunnels which passed by the embassy. Spent 20minutes there and then went about our tour for the day. He dropped us back at the hostel when finished at Chu Chi and collected us again and brought us to the embassy at 4:30 that evening to collect our passports, with our new visa's inside.

"Pre-buying" your visa can be a pain in the ass. You have to pick your date of entry and this cannot be changed. You have to post your passport to London. It takes a while as well. Just my thoughts!

I think you might have gotten your facts a little off there. Somehow I doubt you took a tuk tuk to the cu chi tunnels. First of all they are not in Cambodia and nowhere near there. They are about an hour by taxi or bus outside ho chi Minh city. ie inside Vietnam!

I'm an ex-resident of Vietnam and regular visitor so happen to know what I'm talking about.

A visa on arrival does not require you to go to an embassy or send your passport anywhere. The visa will be valid for the dates you give them. Just like an ordinary visa is. The only downside I can see is the fee for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

I think you might have gotten your facts a little off there. Somehow I doubt you took a tuk tuk to the cu chi tunnels. First of all they are not in Cambodia and nowhere near there. They are about an hour by taxi or bus outside ho chi Minh city. ie inside Vietnam!

I'm an ex-resident of Vietnam and regular visitor so happen to know what I'm talking about.

A visa on arrival does not require you to go to an embassy or send your passport anywhere. The visa will be valid for the dates you give them. Just like an ordinary visa is. The only downside I can see is the fee for the service.

Your right! I meant the Killing Fields of Cheung Ek. I pictured holes in the ground in my head and thought of the tunnels. Me bad :cool:

If the OP is travelling though, getting it at the embassy might be best. He/she can enter when they want then.

Hey in Viernam now, sorry i thought this thread had died, and, then, all of a sudden, it's sprung back to life like an archaic hairdo.

yea got the visa in shinokville in Cambodaia, took 15 mins, 30 days, choose start date, 45 dollars!! ouch, still- a piece of piss ( the ceapest anyone could get it) and oh it makes me embarassed to have written such concerned posts all those months ago:o

Advertisement