Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Higher level History 2010 predictions

Options
  • 28-02-2010 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Ok well my teacher has told me that sunningdale is coming up...100%
    and i belive him, its the obvious choice
    He also said that vietnam is certain to come up as well as the us economy
    The euchrastic congress he also said might come up

These are just preictions and im sure people would like to hear them as well as I would like to hear yours ...thanks

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

my teacher has a reputation for predicting the papers

Shes leaning towards Vietnam, Civil Rights + Martin Luther King, Stalin and the impact of 1916 Rising

Oh, and the collapse of Consensus in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

By the sound of it, we're basically getting our mock paper?

Shes leaning towards Vietnam, Civil Rights + Martin Luther King, Stalin and the impact of 1916 Rising

This would be beautiful! That's basically the only parts of the history course that I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

Our teacher is predicting Civil Rights and MLK and Stalin as well.
    Any ideas for the Ireland Home Rule and Land War section anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 knwaca

Our teacher is leaning toward Sunningdale big time and for 'Pursuit of soverientiy/impact of partion' topic she predicts Belfast during WW2, also Vietnam...

Division and Realignment in Europe anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

knwaca wrote: »
    Our teacher is leaning toward Sunningdale big time and for 'Pursuit of soverientiy/impact of partion' topic she predicts Belfast during WW2, also Vietnam...

Division and Realignment in Europe anyone?

Belfast in WW2 would be beautiful.

Ha, everyone's CONVINCED it's gonna be Sunningdale... At least I suppose if it isn't sure tis only the document!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Crunchy_k

Belfast bombing would be sweet, but the Eucharistic Congress is another possibility.. I think everyone's agreed the Treaty wont come up anyway!

I would love if the US economy came up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

For Ireland

Eucharistic congress
    Cng
    Rise of FF
    The war of indepedence

Europe
    Rise of facisim in Italy
    Church state relations((Italy and germany))
    Anti-sematism
    Nazi Forgein Policy
    Somthing about the USSR :P

US
    Coldwar((Somthing hah))
    US economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

For Sovereignty and Partition, economic and social policy of FF/CnG is a hot tip. A really good one to answer on too, it's so factual that if you've learnt it and have the info down, it's almost impossible for the examiner to take marks off. I've heard of people getting 100% on this question in the LC when viewing scripts. The impact of the 1916 Rising i.e. the rise of Sinn Fein is also likely, as well as the Eucharistic Congress. EC is likely to be only part of a question more about general Irish culture and not come up directly on its own, so that might be tricky.

For the US, the space race combined with military and information technology is a possible question, alongside Vietnam of course, the economy and collapse of consensus. They love asking on the Red Scare too. Vietnam might not be a direct question, it could be more to do with the anti-war movement and Nixon and the impact it had at home than the LBJ case study itself.

Dictatorship and Democracy, something on the USSR economy or a USSR question involving both Lenin and Stalin, with the Moscow Show Trials probably coming in as part of it. Plus the predictions other people have mentioned, like anti-Semitism, church-state relations Italy/Germany. They seem to love asking about Jarrow and/or the British economy in the Inter-War years.

In the unlikely event Sunningdale doesn't come up, the Apprentice Boys will be the next choice. There's not enough material available on Coleraine for them to get two documents or a cartoon out of it!

• Advertisement

fauxshow wrote: »
    There's not enough material available on Coleraine for them to get two documents or a cartoon out of it!

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I mean, there's a lot more than 2 documents in my text book on it so I'm sure it's not a problem finding the material! I'm not saying it's more likely to come up than the others, just that I doubt they'd put something too obscure to examine as a case study.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I mean, there's a lot more than 2 documents in my text book on it so I'm sure it's not a problem finding the material! I'm not saying it's more likely to come up than the others, just that I doubt they'd put something too obscure to examine as a case study.

I correct myself, I meant to say any worthwhile/very good document! I did a crash course in the Institute at Christmas and that's what the teacher said to us. He told us that they'll most likely use a cartoon as one of the sources for the higher level exam and there basically aren't any available on Coleraine because the 'controversy' wasn't actually that big a deal at the time and the English papers didn't bother really reporting on it

fauxshow wrote: »
    I correct myself, I meant to say any worthwhile/very good document! I did a crash course in the Institute at Christmas and that's what the teacher said to us. He told us that they'll most likely use a cartoon as one of the sources for the higher level exam and there basically aren't any available on Coleraine because the 'controversy' wasn't actually that big a deal at the time and the English papers didn't bother really reporting on it
    Fair enough, I still wouldn't leave it out though, because you'd be kicking yourself if it came up. It's fairly simple to learn I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

I'm sure you're all probably aware of this already, but it is important advice to heed - history is notoriously hard to predict accurately.

The person who sets the paper appears to be trying to move away from the learned off by heart and regurgitated paradigm, so be extremely cautious when told "hot tips" about the paper. In the year I did the Leaving Cert (as my school was situated near some affluent, "in the know" grindschools), hot tips circulated wildly before the exam. In the end, they weren't even close.

There's nothing wrong with trying to predict though! Obviously don't leave too much out as it's the LC so don't take any risks. But there'll always be things you know better than others, and they'll naturally be the things that haven't come up in a while so are likely to come up. However, Euch Cong has come up for the past 4 years which sorta cancels out the whole prediction-based-on-pattern thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 arryanna

my teacher thinks Belfast during ww2 is a sure thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

What do you guys think of covering these for the US topic?
    I think it will make 5 essays in total..

1. Johnson and Vietnam: Why he went in, effect on presidency, why US went in & why and how withdrew.
    Domestic Factors in foreign policy: Economic, red scare, McCarthism, anti war movement, racial conflict

2. Moon landing: Why so important/ part of Cold War, Why US won space Race/ Significance.
    Advances in Military/ Space / Information Technology

3. Montgomery Bus Boycott: Racial Conflict/ Civil Rights Movement/ MLutherK/ Successes + failures of CRM.

Just let me know how this list looks??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

oh god, i remember doing this last year. the important thing is to focus down to 2/3 essays per section and preferably have one each from Economic, Social, Political aspects of each section (if i remember the syllabus correctly) because at least one of them's bound to come up.
    the history paper is usually grand for predictions. it'd be a bit harder this year for the document question (it's the North for the first time this year, isn't it?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 OoOROiSiNOoO

fufureida wrote: »

1. Johnson and Vietnam: Why he went in, effect on presidency, why US went in & why and how withdrew.
    Domestic Factors in foreign policy: Economic, red scare, McCarthism, anti war movement, racial conflict

2. Moon landing: Why so important/ part of Cold War, Why US won space Race/ Significance.

3. Montgomery Bus Boycott: Racial Conflict/ Civil Rights Movement/ MLutherK/ Successes + failures of CRM.

I'm learning the exact same essays as you. :) Looking at sample papers and past papers there's at least one question from the four that I can answer so I think I'm pretty safe.

I'm learning the exact same essays as you. :) Looking at sample papers and past papers there's at least one question from the four that I can answer so I think I'm pretty safe.

Ok phew Can you be a doll and give me some essay titles so? Our teacher hasn't given us any for that section yet!

• Advertisement

fufureida wrote: »

Well you're basically covering the case studies and their context which is what my teacher is recommending we all do, he says to make sure we learn the contextualisation stuff really really well though. If you check all the past papers at http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep&formAction=type you'll see the case study questions almost always involve knowing the context stuff and can be quite tricky, but as long as you've learnt them really well you'll be grand!

God I have only just STARTED learning them!!! :( making me freak out!!!

Don't worry about it too much! You just have to break history down into chunks and try and learn a bit at a time, make notes now summarising everything in the textbook and then the weekend before and night before the exam just read through the notes. I always find I remember waaaaaay more than I think I will in history tests, I always just have to try and visualise myself in class and my teacher writing on the whiteboard, or visualise the page of notes I've written out, and it works well enough. You don't have to remember every detail of the case study, once you have the general gist it should be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

1916 rising defo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lunitic99

apparently sunningdale is defo the document question
    i hope 2 god vietnam,the 1916 rising,martin luther king nd the great depression come up they're the only 1s im gud at

Advertisement