Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing headlights on Mark 4 golf.

Options
  • 28-02-2010 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Im in need of a new set of headlights for my Golf. Sadly one of them has had a beating for some reason and is in well need of a replacement.

I thought that I may as well do both, I guess im a little conscious of having two different brands for headlights. Maybe not justified.

I looked up Micks Garage and they sell Depo lights fairly cheap and I was thinking of getting them.

However, I was cleaning the glass of the bad headlight and it was a depo one!!

Are Depo a good brand or should I go for OEM?
    The problem with the light is that it can go out of alignment, the holder for the parking light is broken, the adjuster wheels are not great, there is condensation damage and webbing of the silver backing. I was told it wont pass an NCT due to this.

I dont want to get the same brand only to end up with the same problems.

Additionally, how much of a job would it be to replace the lights myself?
    I know I need to get them aligned but I know someone who could do that for me for free.

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

bbk wrote: »
    Hey all,

Im in need of a new set of headlights for my Golf. Sadly one of them has had a beating for some reason and is in well need of a replacement.

I thought that I may as well do both, I guess im a little conscious of having two different brands for headlights. Maybe not justified.

I looked up Micks Garage and they sell Depo lights fairly cheap and I was thinking of getting them.

However, I was cleaning the glass of the bad headlight and it was a depo one!!

Are Depo a good brand or should I go for OEM?
    The problem with the light is that it can go out of alignment, the holder for the parking light is broken, the adjuster wheels are not great, there is condensation damage and webbing of the silver backing. I was told it wont pass an NCT due to this.

I dont want to get the same brand only to end up with the same problems.

Additionally, how much of a job would it be to replace the lights myself?
    I know I need to get them aligned but I know someone who could do that for me for free.

Thanks all

Not sure on the brands but it's not difficult at all to swap the headlights on a mk4, I did it recently on the mother's car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

I wouldn't bother replacing both lights if there is only a problem with one. If it was me i'd stay away from most spurious headlamps, they're usually more hassle than they are worth unless you get a good make e.g Hella.
    As for how hard they are to remove, I'm not sure about that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

barry81 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother replacing both lights if there is only a problem with one. If it was me i'd stay away from most spurious headlamps, they're usually more hassle than they are worth unless you get a good make e.g Hella.
    As for how hard they are to remove, I'm not sure about that model.

Thanks.

As to why I wanna change both is because the depo one I do have has a different foglight filler then the OEM one and it drives me mad. Anyway, if I go OEM like you recommend then I shouldnt have that problem.

I will however check both lights again before I commit to buying so I know exactly what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

bbk wrote: »
    Thanks.

As to why I wanna change both is because the depo one I do have has a different foglight filler then the OEM one and it drives me mad. Anyway, if I go OEM like you recommend then I shouldnt have that problem.

I will however check both lights again before I commit to buying so I know exactly what I need.

Somora do OE headlamps. Most motor factors supply these.
    http://www.somora.ie/product-search.asp
    http://www.micksgarage.ie/CarSpec.aspx?mode=drilldown&DeptID=299&Make=Volkswagen&BaseModel=&Year=&Engine=&PetrolDiesel=&TypeID=&MODEL=Golf%20Mk%204%201998-2003%20(Hatchback/Estate)

The OE is only €30 dearer than the Depo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

barry81 wrote: »
    The OE is only €30 dearer than the Depo!

Thanks!!
    Actually, the price difference isnt that much is it? It must have been more when I was looking at them originally. This dates back to August!!!

Ill check it out anyway!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement