Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROOF PROBLEMS

Options
  • 27-02-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Anyone able to give me an opinion about the roof on a 2002 Elnagh Marlin, I was getting a valuation on it & I was told that the roof skin was separating from the insulation and that our unit would start leaking. We have no signs of leaking yet. We have since been told that some motorhomes are built this way and that we had been given wrong information. Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Over my cab the curved area of aluminium sheet has about 10mm of flex in it, it doesn't seem to be glued to the insulation. It's always been like that and I never considered it a problem. My assumption is that it would be very difficult to curve the insulation to exactly match the curve of the aluminium.
    A damp check would probably rule tell if you have a problem or not.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Anyone able to give me an opinion about the roof on a 2002 Elnagh Marlin, I was getting a valuation on it & I was told that the roof skin was separating from the insulation and that our unit would start leaking. We have no signs of leaking yet. We have since been told that some motorhomes are built this way and that we had been given wrong information. Any advice would be appreciated

Is it not possible for you to rebond the aluminium to the insulation, where its detached it self. If the aluminium is in good order, it should be ok when re bonded. A few pictures would be interesting to see. As stapeler said , a damp meter will tell you if there is a problem.

What prompted you to get a quote on the roof in the first place.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

kadman wrote: »
    Is it not possible for you to rebond the aluminium to the insulation, where its detached it self. If the aluminium is in good order, it should be ok when re bonded. A few pictures would be interesting to see. As stapeler said , a damp meter will tell you if there is a problem.

What prompted you to get a quote on the roof in the first place.

kadman
    Be really carefull here if you inject glue or resin it could eat the foam (if it is foam.

Be really carefull here if you inject glue or resin it could eat the foam (if it is foam.

True. But it depends on the glue used. As there are a vast range of adhesives available , it should not be a problem finding a suitable one. It would be helpful to see a picture of the problem area.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

True. But it depends on the glue used. As there are a vast range of adhesives available , it should not be a problem finding a suitable one. It would be helpful to see a picture of the problem area.

kadman

These are from a surf board repair site

http://www.boardlady.com/dumbnesses.htm

http://www.boardlady.com/injection.htm

• Advertisement

A picture of his roof area would be helpful:D:D:D

He can buy a new surfboard;)

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

First of all, establish that there really is something wrong and the assessor isn't just talking nonsense.

It is quite common on some makes of motorhomes to have the aluminium roof sheet installed in a "floating" manner, i.e. not glued to the insulation below.
    These sheets are quite big and they do expand and contract quite a bit with changing temperatures.

Secondly even if it is loose, it needn't necessarily lead to leaks ...aluminium as such is watertight :D. It's the seals at the edges that need to be good and tight.

And thirdly, if it HAS to be repaired it's not just a matter of injecting some glue somewhere. The edge profiles would have to be opened, the whole roof sheet taken off and properly re-layed and re-glued and then the edges re-sealed again. Not something you do of an afternoon

peasant wrote: »
    First of all, establish that there really is something wrong and the assessor isn't just talking nonsense.

It is quite common on some makes of motorhomes to have the aluminium roof sheet installed in a "floating" manner, i.e. not glued to the insulation below.
    These sheets are quite big and they do expand and contract quite a bit with changing temperatures.

Secondly even if it is loose, it needn't necessarily lead to leaks ...aluminium as such is watertight :D. It's the seals at the edges that need to be good and tight.

And thirdly, if it HAS to be repaired it's not just a matter of injecting some glue somewhere. The edge profiles would have to be opened, the whole roof sheet taken off and properly re-layed and re-glued and then the edges re-sealed again. Not something you do of an afternoon

Definitely not an afternoons work:D But how long is a piece of string. A picture paints a thousand words:)

Having recently replaced a whole side of a 6.5 meter camper. It can be quite scary to see what lurks beneath an aluminium skin, when water ingress does its dirty deed:eek::eek::eek:

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Having recently replaced a whole side of a 6.5 meter camper. It can be quite scary to see what lurks beneath an aluminium skin, when water ingress does its dirty deed:eek::eek::eek:

kadman

AS that man(?) said . You'd be amazed how rotten timber can be under aluminium . The Elnagh roof wouldn't be the best out there , I've had to repair a few.. I assume the sides are aluminium too?

Advertisement