Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacked Messenger account?

Options
  • 27-02-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭

Help - I am getting sent links from my daughters Live Messenger account to mine, which she is NOT logged into. Such as *wow-your-secret-aint-secret.com* and *forbidden-pics-of-you.com* and the like........

Has her account been hacked - I assume that all her other contacts are getting the same stupid messages, and is there anything I can do???:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

dragona wrote: »
    Help - I am getting sent links from my daughters Live Messenger account to mine, which she is NOT logged into. Such as *wow-your-secret-aint-secret.com* and *forbidden-pics-of-you.com* and the like........

Has her account been hacked - I assume that all her other contacts are getting the same stupid messages, and is there anything I can do???:(

She needs to reset her password and tell her not to type in her user name and password to anywhere but messenger.

It isnt hacked, she typed in her username and password on a scam site that asked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

Ahhhh:( Daft girl. Thanks ever so much - I did wonder what was going on, as her password is still the same and had not been changed! But will change it quick!

Once it is changed then the site sending those messages will no longer be able to use it to send them.

Scan her PC as well, there are MSN viruses floating about too that can do similar things.

Just to confirm, were you getting these messages when her PC was off as well? Or just when she was signed out?

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »
    Just to confirm, were you getting these messages when her PC was off as well? Or just when she was signed out?

Well I have two computers - main pc which is/has been off for a week, and my laptop. I was getting these links from her (but oviously not her) while on my laptop when I am signed in to Live Messenger. I get the message and it says that she is offline.... very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Does she use a hotmail address to log into Messenger? There are 'hacks' for hotmail which result in emails like the ones you've been described to people in the affected person's address book.

Yes she does:( But I didn't receive an email, it was like a *chat* message, though on my list of contacts she appeared offline, and was not an any pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Ah yes, I know the thing you're talking about now. I receive messages like that too on MSN from one of my contacts (she has a Hotmail address too). The messages that I receive are about waste-loss pills and such. I know that they aren't really from her. Just don't click on anything in the message and close the window when such a message pops up.

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Changing the password will fix it, a bot has her password and is logging her in elsewhere and spamming. She either uses that email and password for other things or she got duped into giving the details on a fake login page.

http://login.live.com

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »
    She needs to reset her password and tell her not to type in her user name and password to anywhere but messenger.

It isnt hacked, she typed in her username and password on a scam site that asked for it.

Exactly. A favourite is those "block checker" websites which claim to show you which of your contacts have blocked you. I've occasionally gotten these messages from one of my contacts and at that time their MSN display name was changed to the address of the website.

Advertisement