Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few Open Office queries

Options
  • 27-02-2010 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭

Am starting to use OpenOffice a lot but have a few questions, if anyone is able to help me out.

When I create a new document, it's always in ODT format, is there anyway I can do it so that when i create a new OpenOffice document, it will be in DOC format?

Can I set it so that a new document will automatically have English as it's spellchecker? I've set it to English in the Default Languages bar but I have to do this each time I create a new document.

nothing bad so far, these can be easily fixed with each new document but it'd be class to not have to do this each time I make a new one.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Setting the default language works pretty much the same way as described in mp22's link re: default document types.

From the Tools/Options dialog select Language Settings on the left, in the Language sub settings set the Western = English (UK) for the "Default languages for Documents" section.

Most defaults and settings are set in the Tools/Options diaglog!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Hmm, I've already done that but it doesn't seem to be working right; I right-clicked on my desktop and clicked New OpenOffice document which appears in ODT. WHen I click save, it saves as ODT.
    When I click save as, I have to manually select DOC (the default is ODT)
    Basically I end up with one document in ODT and have to save a new DOC file and delete the ODT.
    Not catastrophic but annoying.

Spell checker doesn't seem to work. The default Western is German (no dictionary installed), I change it to English (UK) but as soon as I close the document and make a new one, it reverts to German again as default.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

The explanations have been given so it's time for pretty pics :)

Does it work when you open OO and go to save a file? Is the .doc file extension selected by default then? Remember you need to set the default to the MS Office equivalent for Writer, Impress, Calc, etc.

ooo_file_formats.png

There's a bug to have the EN_IE dictionary considered as the EN_UK to fix this little hiccup.

ooo_lang.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Still doesn't work, if I open a new document the following happens;

The language settings look like this;nb89lj.jpg

If I change it, things are fine but if I open a new document, then it resets to the above.

When I go to the settings after opening a new document, it looks like this;

8x3f4h.jpg

But when I start a new document, it's in ODT format and I have to save a mew document in DOC format, ending up with 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

So, from the varied responses, this doesn't seemed to be typically what happens. So Perhaps we need some more info, what version, what operating system, how was it installed... because obviously something is a-typical about your setup! That might also be a good idea to check with a specialized open office forum? (if you do go that route please come back and let use know the reason - perhaps others are searching for the same solution at a later date - nothing worse than finding the question but never the answers !)

The only other thing that jumps to mind is permissions. Perhaps, for some reason, your user does not have permissions to change the configuration files with the options selected??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Am starting to use OpenOffice a lot but have a few questions, if anyone is able to help me out.

When I create a new document, it's always in ODT format, is there anyway I can do it so that when i create a new OpenOffice document, it will be in DOC format?

Can I set it so that a new document will automatically have English as it's spellchecker? I've set it to English in the Default Languages bar but I have to do this each time I create a new document.

nothing bad so far, these can be easily fixed with each new document but it'd be class to not have to do this each time I make a new one.
    Am using ubuntu with openoffice and it checks it automatically with a line under it. If you just check the spelling it should work. I tried that on xp and I failed to have success!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I swear to god if oracle kill openoffice or even let it slip I will go ape.

Excellent software.

Advertisement