Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cables running parallel on road

Options
  • 27-02-2010 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭

I have seen this alot and I don't know what the purpose of them are... Two black cables running parallel across the road which connect into a little black box on the grass verge. What are they?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Ive seen them too, no idea what they are, I was wondering could they be connected to some sort of sensor that detects how much traffic is passing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They are a part of some survey being carried out by govt. Get ready for long delays in the morning when the clipboard army come out in force. They were in Limerick not too long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

I think you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, they're traffic counters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

They count the amount of vehicles on the road and their respective weights afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭owenmul

they count traffic, i didnt think they measured weight tho, that was never mentioned in college when we were doing traffic counting stuff, may it does...

Engineers can calculate the numbers of cars travelling on that stretch of road then and convert it to Annual Average Daily Traffice (AADT) by some process that eludes me at the minute and compare it to other year's count to see if there is any variation on the routes been used and as a result carry out upgrades to other routes or carry out maintenance i'd imagine.

if anybody wants to correct this, feel free I can't remember the exact ins and outs entirely:)

if ya want to know more about AADT and it's uses here ya go:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aadt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

mondeo wrote: »
    I have seen this alot and I don't know what the purpose of them are... Two black cables running parallel across the road which connect into a little black box on the grass verge. What are they?

Thanks

Don't suppose you're in Dundalk? They've put them in bloody everywhere over the week. Everyones slowing down and staring at them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

cian1500ww wrote: »
    They count the amount of vehicles on the road and their respective weights afaik.

simply a counter...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Don't suppose you're in Dundalk? They've put them in bloody everywhere over the week. Everyones slowing down and staring at them...

Thats true. I have seen a few of them starting to come loose.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

They're all over the place in Dundalk - I assume they're for counting the volume of traffic.

[nerdhat]They're actually running perpendicular to the road, not paralell[/nerdhat]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

[/QUOTE]

[nerdhat]They're actually running perpendicular to the road, not paralell[/nerdhat][/QUOTE]

I think the OP meant that the two cables are running parallel to each other!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I make a point of pulling a wheelie over these each time I pass, to boost the figures for unicycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I make a point of pulling a wheelie over these each time I pass, to boost the figures for unicycles.

make sure you do it an uneven number of times, otherwise they wont be counted as unicycles...:D

Advertisement