Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi....is that oil problems i hear?????

Options
  • 27-02-2010 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

was hoping to get a 06 / 07 civic 2.2 cdti in a couple of weeks, but i've read loads of reviews online saying "stay clear!!" :confused::confused::confused:
    reviews say.....

1. Honda says it's OK for car to use a litre of oil every 625 miles (Drinks incredible amounts of oil)
    2. Quite loud at high speed.
    3. Journeys over 3hrs will take a toll on your back. Suspension is too hard.
    4. Dash vibrates and rattles…..too much plastic
    5. Struggles to get any more than 42mpg

is the civic diesel really that bad???? i've heard some more stuff regarding clutch & flywheel poor build quality.

Surely it can't be that bad?????:eek: Please help, i'd love to be proved wrong, there a lovely car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Well I can only speak for a good friend of mine who traded a 1.8 petrol for the 2.2 diesel.

It's a lovely car to drive and the suspension seems fine to me. Nice and solid.

It is a little noisy when idling along in traffic but no more than any other diesel. Quiet when cruising.

He never mentioned any oil usage and he keeps a good eye on things like that.

He's getting 50+mpg and he has a heavy foot.

Dash is quiet (although his is 2008 and the earlier petrol hatches did have rattles).

Overall a damn nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

were the reviews from an american site because that could explain 42 mpg ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

kasper wrote: »
    were the reviews from an american site because that could explain 42 mpg ,

Thats a very good point actually. In fairness, I dont believe 42mpg anyway. My 1.8 Civic saloon gives that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 seamy1

i found the reviews on www.reviewcentre.com
    thanks for oil feedback, i'm going to test drive one next week, and that'll help. Road tax will be expensive though (€860 P/A)

It's either the Civic or the Passat 2.0 6spd......
    I'm going to the UK in a few weeks and i want to have decided by then.

seamy1 wrote: »

there seems to be a few people commenting from the UK, a couple from the US, but mainly UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

seamy1 wrote: »
    Road tax will be expensive though (€860 P/A)
    The 2008+ model is €152 tax. You'll have a tough time selling your's on in a few years.

JHMEG wrote: »
    The 2008+ model is €152 tax.

sorry don't have 25k

Buy something else, or wait another year.

The difference between a 2007 and 2008 model in road tax doesn't get much more profound than with the Civic diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

And the way things are going in this country at the moment, can anybody see the road tax increasing over the next few budgets?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Well a friend of mine recently got an 2008 type s 2.2 civic a few months ago and already the clutch on it is going luckily for him the car is still under warranty although after reading up and enquiring about the problem he is considering trading it in as has read its a coomon fault in the 2.2 diesel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well a friend of mine recently got an 2008 type s 2.2 civic a few months ago and already the clutch on it is going luckily for him the car is still under warranty although after reading up and enquiring about the problem he is considering trading it in as has read its a coomon fault in the 2.2 diesel

In fairness a clutch going can be down to how it was driven by the previous owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

yeh thats true but even a 08 with low mileage shouldnt be having that problem already it only has bout 15,000 miles on it plus when my mate read up about it he has found that its a common problem with them and hes heard the honda are on the verge of admitting its a general fault with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I'd be amazed that the 2.2 diesel gives trouble in the Civic, it has managed perfectly fine(for the most part though have heard they can give a little bit of trouble) in the Accord all these years. Hondas virtually never go wrong anyway, though someone here said recently quoted some breakdown stats that implied the current model Civic is one of the worst in the class for reliability(apparently these stats say the Megane is one of the best for reliability too, so I wouldn't pay too much heed to that set of data then:D).

bazz26 wrote: »
    In fairness a clutch going can be down to how it was driven by the previous owner.

i hear a lot of failure in the DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) in diesels. Seemingly this part helps protect the gearbox from further vibration damage.....so it looks like it's just a consumable to factor in after 60-90K...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

They do inded give trouble with oil consumption and clutches.
    I read about those problems in other forums.
    If your sure you want to buy Honda I think you would be better of with 1.8l petrol engine. Afterall that s where they r known to be very reliable.

i've got no concrete reply from garages or any1 i ask about the oil and clutch problems in the 2.2 honda diesels....
    ...looking at a 2.0 diesel passat........hopefully i'm not p**sing into the wind!

Good explanation here.

Would appear that some DMFs can be weak thru bad design, but I get the impression they all can be burned out by the driver riding the clutch.

Advertisement