Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed home insurance company do I need to tell old insurer?

Options
  • 27-02-2010 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭

My home insurance was up for renewal a few weeks ago. I shopped around and get a cheaper price then my renewal so I went with the cheaper option.

Yesterday morning I received a letter form my old insurance company saying I had no cover with them and if I didn't reply to renew or tell them I'd changed they'd inform my mortgage company. They have sent me a form and free post envelope to reply with.

On the form it's has 2 options. Option 1 is to renew with them and send a check. Option 2 is I've changed companies to ____ and my premium is ____. Or something similar to that anyway.

It looks like they are trying a remind me of my renewal, which is OK if I'd forgotten, or find out how much the competition is charging if I did changed company and using the threat of contacting my mortgage company to force me to tell them.

Do I need to fill in this form and post it back to them or can I just ignore it? I own an apartment so I only have contents insurance. As far as I'm concerned they can go jump and do their own market research. But the mention of the mortgage company has me slightly worried, even though I don't need building insurance as it's cover by my MC fees, and I'm sure a lot of other people are too if they receive this mail.

I tried google and searching here put couldn't find any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

just call your bank to let them know you've switched insurance companies I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Xiney wrote: »
    just call your bank to let them know you've switched insurance companies I'd imagine.

Thanks, the thing is I don't need building cover as it's covered by my MC fees all I have is contents insurance. The bank never asked me about home insurance and I assume the only reason that the bank would be worried about Home insurance is to make sure you can rebuild if it gets damaged.

I have to ring them anyway so may mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Snotty letter to them telling them if they so much as talk to your bank you issue a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner. Its none of their business.

Alternatively, tell them you are now with Del Boy Insurances and your premium is €1 (or €18bn).

Or, if you want, just tell them and explain that their letter comes across as obnoxious and is likely to get them into legal trouble in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Victor wrote: »

Alternatively, tell them you are now with Del Boy Insurances and your premium is €1 (or €18bn).

Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hi Del!

• Advertisement
Advertisement