Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on leaving small puppy outdoors.

Options
  • 26-02-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for advice on this: Have a small puppy approx 10wks old. A present for my daughter. The thing is I am wondering if it is ok to let the pup to his own devices in a cutom built pen in the garden during the day whilst I'm at work. I'm building a little kennel and a pen for the pup. The pup is feisty but v.small (a cockapoo).

It is only a temp solution as the person looking after the pup during the day is over 80yrs old so it would be easier for her to have a pen to place the pup into until I come home from work or my daughter comes back from school.

I have a notion that it might be vulnerable due to it's size to attack from crows or larger cats etc. Would that be an issue? I know that crows can be vicious creatures and cats might be territorial (one in particular is used to being fed in this place).

Basically I am wondering if it a wise and safe move to let the pup exposed to potential dangers mentioned above?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No do not do this!!
    Do you have any idea how ingenious puppies are at escaping? We had a custom built pen for a larger dog for a while, I think it took about 5-10 mins for her to learn how to escape. My mum has a couple of dogs, one is a poodle and despite the wire carefully placed all around he always manages to find a way of escaping.
    Also given the current cold and he is so young ...??
    He shouldn't really be left alone anyway all day at that age I'm sure, but keep him indoors in a safer room/kitchen and give him a newspaper area or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Your pup is far too young to leave outside for any extended period of time. They get cold very quickly and the weather is too unpredictable at the moment. There was someone on the boards who's yorkie pup was attacked by a cat and seriously injured so that would also be a concern, along with dangers in it's pen - pups are very curious and chew on anything, I've seen pups get their jaws stuck in chainlink fencing, wedge themselves in wooden fencing trying to get through but I've always been there to resuce them straight away. Is there no way you could keep the pup inside until at least the summer? It'd be old enough and the weather warm enough to leave it unsupervised for periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

10 weeks is far too young to leave a pup outside, most dogs don't start to get their adult coats until 6-8 months, so its best wait until after that if its cold.
    At 10 weeks it needs to spend a lot of time with people to learn how to behave.To keep the pup busy get some kongs(or other toys) and stuff them with food(from daily allowance, so not to overfeed), give the pup one 3 times during the day if you need to, the pup will spend ages trying to get the food out then sleep for couple of hours.
    Fence an area by the back door, then the pup can be let in and out as necessary, just keep an eye at all times. You would be amazed how small a space they can squirm out through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yeh deffo. not a good idea, 10 weeks is very young at that age they still pick up everything and try to eat it and it's too cold. Our guy is 8 months now and it's only recently that we can leave him with access to the sitting room and kitchen while we're gone but that would be for an hour any longer than that and he goes into his play pen in the kitchen.

If the person minding them isn't able for puppy antics you might have to think about getting someone else or perhaps having someone pop around once a day to bring the pup for a short walk at that age they flake out after a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thanks for the great feedback. I think the outdoor option as such is not a good idea. The pup is v.small. As such maybe an indoor pen would be good? I will go on as such and try to make a small area in the house for the pup to run about in the warmth. Thanks again for the great advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

You can get pens for dogs that fold away when you are not using them, or baby gates work really well as confining dogs to a small area. Just be sure to get something your pup can't slip through! Dog Training Ireland sell this --> http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=239&osCsid=7cb441f4460a42918c8473615a5d9bbd which would be very suitable for your needs. I'm sure there are other places online that you could ind something too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

[QUOTE=

Basically I am wondering if it a wise and safe move to let the pup exposed to potential dangers mentioned above?

Any advice appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I think the pup would probably be safe enough, I've never heard of a puppy being attacked by either crows or cats, I have heard of one being bitten by a rat, so either way it would be best not to leave out food to attract any of the above critters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

looserock wrote: »
    I think the pup would probably be safe enough, I've never heard of a puppy being attacked by either crows or cats, I have heard of one being bitten by a rat, so either way it would be best not to leave out food to attract any of the above critters.
    So you think its a better idea to leave a 10 week old puppy outside, in the cold, all day, with no food?

Sorry, but thats just plain nuts! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I find it strange that people don't think about dogs and what they should do before they get one ?

You cant leave a 10 week old pup outside alone .

Set up a room with a dog create with newspaper on the ground

Have enough space that the pups bed and food and water is away from where it will go to the toilet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 slewis

We had the same problem as you did. We got a puppy from my sister (cairn terrier). For the first few weeks we kept her inside but then went and bought a kennel and though it would be great as she would be able to run around in the back garden and when it gets wet she would run into the kettle on her own for shelter. Well we couldnt bear it when we left the house and she starred back at us with her cute puppy eyes as if we had committed the cruelest act in the world. We walked her in the morning, kept her inside in the kitchen, until our kids cme home at 2 from school. So she would be alone in the kicthen from 10am to 2pm but got used to it, had food and water (did have to clean up for a few months until she was toilet trained). In the afternoon we let her in the back garden on her own - although kids usually running around with her. She still wont use the kennel but shelters under a bit of the proch that is covered, maybe she is claustraphonic!

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    So you think its a better idea to leave a 10 week old puppy outside, in the cold, all day, with no food?

Sorry, but thats just plain nuts! :eek:

If I can't help the op with their actual question, I usually prefer to stay out of it.

There is someone looking after the pup who will take care of its needs, its just that the person is over 80 years old and it would be easier with a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

looserock wrote: »
    If I can't help the op with their actual question, I usually prefer to stay out of it.
    Thats nice for you. Personally I'll post whenever I see bad advice being posted for the better health and wellbeing of the animal in question.

I've taken the view that the OP is a new dog owner so could have very easily taken it from your post that it'd be just fine to leave a 10 week old pup outside with no food for the day while they're missing.

I'm just making sure that they don't read your post that way, and it would seem that the majority are in agreement that leaving a 10 week old pup outdoors all day is a very bad idea

Top Dog wrote: »
    leaving a 10 week old pup outdoors all day is a very bad idea

I agree, but most people are going to do it anyway and leaving food out for puppy to free feed isn't a good idea in general and especially where predators might be a problem.

In this case the puppy did had someone looking after it during the day and the daughter coming home from school.

8am 3.30pm 10pm are acceptable feeding times for a 10 week old pup, four feeds would be better but 3 is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

Leaving a puppy alone for long periods of time at an early age like that will stress the dog and probably cause separation anxiety which will cause behavioural problems when the dog gets older,such as barking when left at home alone and destructive chewing.....to name a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

The pup probably is too young to be left out all day. But if you can keep him inside for a few months, then he should be able to stay out during the day on his own when he's older. He would probably just sleep all day, and be fine til your daughter comes home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kateisabella

i think the op has got this by now,but just in case there is someone else out there reading this and considering doing the same thing,then i would just have to agree with the rest, its not a good idea at all,as the poster said its not good in later months,as you may encounter bahavioral problems!!!

i am going to be a new puppy owner soon,and am very excited so i just want to say a lil thanks to the people on boards who post replys and start the post as its SUCH a good way for the rest of the world to know!

Advertisement