Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marina and the Diamonds Hollywood sounds like...?

Options
  • 26-02-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

doesn't seem to be a pop forum & phantom play it so guess it's fine here.

The chorus of this song sounds like something else, driving me mad, what is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

id do her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

A cross between Gwen Stefanu and shakira...atho she does a terrible version of Gwen Stefani's 'What you waiting for' ...google if you dare

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Nearly as good as Gaga but not quite there.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

lordgoat wrote: »
    Nearly as good as Gaga but not quite there.

That's damning with faint praise if ever I heard it!

Whenever I hear Marina I can't help getting the impression that her promotion is down to record execs trying to replicate the success of Florence & The Machine.

• Advertisement

That's damning with faint praise if ever I heard it!

Whenever I hear Marina I can't help getting the impression that her promotion is down to record execs trying to replicate the success of Florence & The Machine.

Hmmm i think you may have unintentionally missed a little...

I actually rate Gaga, i think she's making great pop music and i'd put her miles above florence. I'd put Marina somewhere in the middle.

I'll have no pop-snobbery in this thread!:)

No pop snobbery here, sir! I'm fairly indifferent to Lady Gaga. I only know the singles - I enjoy them to an extent for what they are but they wouldn't exactly entice me to explore further. There's no doubt she's got talent, just not for me really.
    Florence I like, though not a massive fan and think she's overrated in some quarters. I'd take her above Gaga though.

Marina I really haven't heard enough of to come to any definitive conclusion about, the above is just the initial impression I get. And that's more a reflection on the promotion and exposure she's getting than her music as such.

No pop snobbery here, sir! I'm fairly indifferent to Lady Gaga. I only know the singles - I enjoy them to an extent for what they are but they wouldn't exactly entice me to explore further. There's no doubt she's got talent, just not for me really.
    Florence I like, though not a massive fan and think she's overrated in some quarters. I'd take her above Gaga though.

Marina I really haven't heard enough of to come to any definitive conclusion about, the above is just the initial impression I get. And that's more a reflection on the promotion and exposure she's getting than her music as such.

Ya i might be making a snap judgement but being in a job where you get exposed to alot of the shi t that's on the radio has given me a new found appreciation for Gaga. Like you say i enjoy the singles, i won't be running out to her next gig but i also won't just dismiss her out of hand for making a good pop song.

Florence i just don't get, i can see she has a great voice but there are some terrible songs on her album. Kiss with a fist and drumming song just grate. Yes Florence there is a drumming sound inside my head...

Marina, i've liked what i've heard so far, made a nicer impression on me than lungs has. And to be fair i prob need to give it more time. Possibly the same thing as you in relation to promotion/exposure...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I like Marina, never even thought of comparing her to Gwen Stefani though.

And musically, I think she is nothing like Florence.

Will finally get to see Marina live in May after 2 failed attempts. I hear she's a great performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its Razorlight "America"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Think she has a bit of PJ harvey vibe going on with her. Love the single anyway. Topped the NME charts three weeks running now.

Think she has a bit of PJ harvey vibe going on with her. Love the single anyway. Topped the NME charts three weeks running now.

Not exactly the hallmark of quality or exciting music it once may have been.

Not exactly the hallmark of quality or exciting music it once may have been.
    Agreed bought the magazine a few months back for some dead musicians tribute, Kurt etc. Couldnt believe how bad the production had fallen. But song i think really stands out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I don't get her. The song is cringeworthy, especially the "Oh my God she looks just like Shakira, oh no it's Catherine Zeta... my name's Marina" bit.

Musically she does nothing for me and I think the PJ Harvey comparison is way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

Heard her recently and liked what I heard. The sound reminded me of some of the big pop sounds from hipper 80's acts like ABC but that was after one listen so I could be totally off the mark.
    Agree with the comments on Florence - wee bit overrated , I wanted to like her but can't warm to that voice - Liam Gallagher said it was as if someone is standing on her toe :D

I don't get her. The song is cringeworthy, especially the "Oh my God she looks just like Shakira, oh no it's Catherine Zeta... my name's Marina" bit.

Musically she does nothing for me and I think the PJ Harvey comparison is way off.
    Definitely a PJ vibe there in terms of the voice with a bit of Florence and Lady Ga thrown in to. Wonder what Florence did to upset Liam anyway. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Definitely a PJ vibe there in terms of the voice with a bit of Florence and Lady Ga thrown in to. Wonder what Florence did to upset Liam anyway. ;)

It's cuz she's a ginge innit...

I'd take Lady Gaga's music over Marina's any day tbh.

It's cuz she's a ginge innit...

I'd take Lady Gaga's music over Marina's any day tbh.
    Have no problems with Lady Gagas music but hate the way she goes on and on about her masculine side. And less make up please!

loyatemu wrote: »
    its Razorlight "America"
    Razorlight had two decent songs i think. America wasnt one of them. But get where you are coming from in terms of song comparison.

The only resemblance I hear between those 2 songs is the use of the word America in the chorus.

I think I prefer the stripped down version of this song.

Also think I prefer her previous tunes.

• Advertisement

Can definitely see comparisons with PJ in terms of the voice. More so than Florence and Lady Ga GA

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JordyWordy

Mowgli's Road and I Am Not A Robot were great songs, this one is just tripe though, a huge let down after her early stuff.

She's a great distinctive singer, but the song is just lazy record company drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Agreed. I hate that bit, but I love the song as it's damn catchy and I agree with others it's very reminiscent of good 80s pop... although Hazel O'Connor/Toyah spring to mind in particular :eek:
    Certainly not hearing the PJ Harvey similarity though.
    JordyWordy wrote: »
    Mowgli's Road and I Am Not A Robot were great songs, this one is just tripe though, a huge let down after her early stuff.

She's a great distinctive singer, but the song is just lazy record company drivel.
    You can certainly tell this song was written with the airwaves in mind all right. I Am Not A Robot is superb! Reminds me of Regina Spektor...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sarah+1

I think it sounds like a dying mule. I thought she was supposed to be indie... She is ridiculously mainstream in this, while still managing to sound like Bjork.

sarah+1 wrote: »
    I think it sounds like a dying mule. I thought she was supposed to be indie... She is ridiculously mainstream in this, while still managing to sound like Bjork.
    Album available to hear here. Re the mainstream tag you could say the same about Mumford and sons. Listening to I am not a robot. will this be the next single here. some very strong songs here. Good sound
    http://www.myspace.com/marinaandthediamonds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

She was highlighted in the Guardians New band of the day series, http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/series/newbandoftheday ,about a year and a half ago and I was very impressed, this was pre Ga-Ga and I liked the way she was outspoken and strange and had these big dramatic songs instead of the Kitchen sink ditties of Kate Nash and Lily Allen. America is not as good as her other stuff but I still like it.

And way prefer to that crap that is Mumford and sons.

sarah+1 wrote: »
    It's just good pop music imo which is just as hard to find as an 'indie' gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

JordyWordy wrote: »

Found the song to be very, very catchy, I think her voice is different very distinctive and refreshing.

- Also I think 'Hollywood' has a clever agenda set to capture the hearts and minds of the US in a targeted and most likely very successful and immensely profitable type way.

Marina in the Youtube vid posted by S.M.B must be the definition of pure effortless sexuality!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I am very impressed with Marina's music.

I don't feel she is 100% manufactured like other artists out there.

Of course when you get signed record companies are going to help you out (that's part of being signed....) but Marina seems to have done a lot of groundwork herself.
    With regard to her songs being fit for the airwaves, that's the point as she is a pop artist.
    This is intelligent pop and deserves to be played on the radio. Like was mentioned above, good pop is hard to come by.
    Her lyrics are nice and biting and do show that she is aware of what is going around her. She is driven and determined to be a pop star and is unashamed to 'make it' after the knock backs she has had to get here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

budgemook wrote: »
    The chorus of this song sounds like something else, driving me mad, what is it?

Yeah she is definitely somewhere on her own alright, she's Pop, but not indie Pop.weird. She's getting large approval from the indie heads though

Aaaaaanyway, referring back to the OPs question, I believe it sounds like the chorus in Delorentos - Do You Realise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znr5cw0jAvU - About 46 seconds in

Advertisement