Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help Selecting New Company Car

Options
  • 26-02-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am due to change my current company car later in the year. I would really like an estate and have narrowed the search down to either Opel Insignia Elite 2.0 CDTi or Skoda Superb Elegance 2.0 TDI (170 bhp). Both fall within budget in terms of the lease costs, and as it is a company car all the other running costs are covered by the company. The only thing to keep in mind is the bik, but as far a I can calculate there is not a huge difference between the two. I do between 30,000 and 40,000 km per year.

I am obviously arranging test drives of both and will see how I feel after driving the two of them, but at the moment I can't decide between then two. Does anyone have any opinions on which they would chose and why?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Really boils down to spec for me, I'd imagine the Superb would have a superior standard equipment list over the Insignia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Depends on how important interior space is to you. The Insignia is tight enough in the back but the Superb is like a limo in terms of legroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Lockster wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am due to change my current company car later in the year. I would really like an estate and have narrowed the search down to either Opel Insignia Elite 2.0 CDTi or Skoda Superb Elegance 2.0 TDI (170 bhp). Both fall within budget in terms of the lease costs, and as it is a company car all the other running costs are covered by the company. The only thing to keep in mind is the bik, but as far a I can calculate there is not a huge difference between the two. I do between 30,000 and 40,000 km per year.

I am obviously arranging test drives of both and will see how I feel after driving the two of them, but at the moment I can't decide between then two. Does anyone have any opinions on which they would chose and why?

Thanks for your help.

Do you need a big estate to carry stuff, or is it just handier? The Insignia Sport Tourer doesn't have the biggest boot - not sure about the Superb because I haven't seen one yet, but it looks massive.

I do really like the Insignia, but for the sheer specification and value for money from the Skoda is going to be hard to beat. I'd be going with the Skoda, unless you find it a pig to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Seeing as its not your money.......seriously consider the Alfa Romeo 159.....gorgeous to look at and to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

Thanks for all the quick replies. I'm looking for an estate as I have a couple of kids, plus I quite often travel with visitors from abroad with numbers of suit cases etc, so the space is very useful.

It took me long enough to get down to these two cars and get quotes from the lease company so I'm not going to consider anything else at this stage but thanks for the Alfa suggestion.

• Advertisement

gorfield wrote: »
    Seeing as its not your money.......seriously consider the Alfa Romeo 159.....gorgeous to look at and to drive.

As it's being leased, that wouldn't be in the running. Major part of the lease is the residual value (which the 159 SportWagon doesn't have) and maintenance costs (which will be high).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

bazz26 wrote: »
    Really boils down to spec for me, I'd imagine the Superb would have a superior standard equipment list over the Insignia.

+1 for the Superb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Go for the Insignia. It's a better car really, if your kids aren't 6' and need the extra legroom. The Elite is very well kitted also, and wouldn't be lacking anything that the Superb would offer that's worthwhile.
    Plus seeing as boards seems to be sponsored by Skoda, why not think outside the box?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,005 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's a lot of miles. You'll need comfort + toys. Get the Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭mcshape

I think the test drive will be the judge here, if its space your looking for and spec the superb will win every time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maddness

I have the Superb salon Elegance 170 for the last month and love it. Mind you I still cant look at the back of it for too long :eek:. Mind you the Combi is far better to look at and personally I really cant fault the Superb.
    Mind you a neighbour of mine has just got himself a Insignia estate in black with 19" alloys and blacked out glass and it looks fantastic, in fact much better than the Insignia salon/hatch.
    Two very nice cars. Superb is bigger but the Insignia is far better looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

Thanks again for all the replies, it is obviously going to be a tough choice and I suppose it will go down to the test drives. The Insignia Elite is actually very well speced it's just the Skoda has everything, but I'm not sure I will ever use all of the equipment. At the moment the heart is saying Insignia but head is saying Superb.

Check if the insignia elite has xenons, I don't think it does, they make a car to me

mcshape wrote: »
    Check if the insignia elite has xenons, I don't think it does, they make a car to me

Standard on the Elite. Need to add Bluetooth as an option (€325), but nothing else really worth adding.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Standard on the Elite. Need to add Bluetooth as an option (€325), but nothing else really worth adding.

Oh that's good, I'd say the insignia does look super sexy with the xenons!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

Lockster wrote: »
    Thanks again for all the replies, it is obviously going to be a tough choice and I suppose it will go down to the test drives. The Insignia Elite is actually very well speced it's just the Skoda has everything, but I'm not sure I will ever use all of the equipment. At the moment the heart is saying Insignia but head is saying Superb.

Since it's a company car, and your heart tells you Insignia, then go for it. Unless there's a big difference in how they drive, but I can't imagine there will be too much of a difference. Go with your heart!! <3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

unkel wrote: »
    That's a lot of miles. You'll need comfort + toys. Get the Superb.
    What has the Superb Elegance that the Insignia Elite doesn't have? Both are comfortable cars. Both are generously spec'd. The Insignia is better handling and much better looking. The Superb has more space in the rear. I prefer the interior of the Insginia too, it's very nice.
    Everyone on boards is brainwashed by the Superb, but in reality the Insignia is an excellent car also, with feck all missing from it that the Superb has. Test drive both on a nice long run, twisty roads and all included. Only you can decide which you prefer, but you're not getting a bad car with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Spacious, loads legroom, loads of toys AND the estate you want

media?id=8788179&width=400&height=300

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200946195855730

My money or anyone else's money, it'd would be my choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

They look tasty is there a seven seater option.?

That's super sexy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭IanVW

superb any day of the week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

FWIW-you'd save around €380 a year in tax/PRSI/levy by choosing the Superb by my reckoning.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

This is fast becoming another Skoda thread :mad:

Sometimes I begin to wonder is every Skoda salesman a member of the forum!

And for whoever called an estate sexy
    :eek::eek:

Both horrible cars (as there estates!) but I'm rather drive the Insignia than a Skoda. Having said that I'd probably just drive it into a ditch to end the misery.

I just don't understand estates - go get a Jeep!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

JJJJNR wrote: »
    They look tasty is there a seven seater option.?

I hope you're taking the piss.......

• Registered Users Posts: 33 seamy1

Probably Superb.....but every try the Accord 2.2 CDTI estate, high spec, but might be too costly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Shane732 wrote: »
    I hope you're taking the piss.......

Why would I be taking the piss, beside my M3 track day car I need something to transport my kids.. sometimes I need 7 seats and the s-max etc dosen't really appeal, there isn't much out there really.

So an RS6 is horrible by your imagination, jeeps dont actually have that much space.

Edit/
    Actually, I did call the skoda "tasty" which is a mistake, I mean tasty in the swiss army knife "eat raw fish head" guise.

Advertisement