Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Ray film

Options
  • 26-02-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭

Hi, I wonder if anyone here works someplace which gets in regular stocks of x-ray film ? Preferably 8x10 inch. Is there a regular supplier in Ireland that deals in small batches (like say 1 box of 100 sheets for example) ? Or (better still) a retail supplier somewhere in Dublin ?

Either the green or blue high speed variety would do the job, preferably the high speed stuff though ...

Thanks,

Daire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

hopefully a radiographer will step in here and help you out.

Have you considered checking the same question in the photography forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

DrIndy wrote: »
    hopefully a radiographer will step in here and help you out.

Have you considered checking the same question in the photography forum?

I'm actually normally to be found over there :) I figured I'd be better asking here. It's a bit of a minority pursuit, so probably a little esoteric for the photography forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Fisher Scientific have some (link), it looks like they sell it in boxes of 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fisher Scientific have some (link), it looks like they sell it in boxes of 100.

Thanks for that, it looks like the right stuff all right. It's extortionately expensive though ! The reason people shoot this stuff in camera is because of its odd sensitivity (it's more sensitive to blue light, giving a sort of ortho effect to the shot), and price. Mainly price. 100 pack in the states is about $30, which is about 10th the price of the same amount of proper 8x10 film. That stuff that Fisher Scientific is selling seems to be about the same price :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

thinking further about this - 8"x10" is also the size used for OPGs (orthopantogram) which is a dental xray - so asking in the dental forum may really help. Most dental GPs do private practise and would be directly involved in ordering their supplies as well as knowing which place supplies cheap films in low volumes (they won't be bulk ordering like hospitals would).

Larger practises may have OPG machines - but dental films are supplied to all practises.

You could also try calling hospitals and ask for the head radiographer - but remember that plain films are now being phased out for digital images so are being used much less now - however - hospital suppliers would probably only normally handle large bulk orders.

Best of luck and post up your success here so anyone else googling this can also get this information readily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement