Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Altering a Doctor's Cert

Options
  • 26-02-2010 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question- feel free to move if in wrong forum.

I have been given a sick cert from one of my students (on a paid training course) which has very obviously been altered. The date is written in black ink and someone has used a blue biro to change 24 to 29. Very obvious and even more obvious as there is only 28 days this month!!

Im wondering if there is a law against this? Im not going to do anything about it apart from having a very serious talk with the student but would like to know whats the position on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

There is a law against this but just make sure it wasn't the Doctor who altered it!
    The cert is a defacto legal statement of fact issued by the Doctor to confirm the person is unfit for work/college etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

perhaps before you speak with your student, you should ring the doctors offices to check what they have on record for this cert. If doctor did alter it after he wrote it, its very slipshod method.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Firstly I would check with the issuing doctor. I honestly can't imagine any professional releasing something like this.

Secondly, if the person should be back on the course but isn't, and is being paid on the basis of being unfit for work although they really are, then its fraud.

I'd also be concerned about the fact that the cert is valid for a non-existent day. If there is an insurance issue, you may have problems.

My first rule of engagement is CYA. Cover Your Ass. Make sure that what ever you do, YOU are protected. Remember if you are teaching a course that people are paid to attend, you will have FAS or FETAC or whatever inspectors out to check your administration. Make sure that everything is in order and that there is nothing that can incriminate you.

If the student is stupid, that's their problem not yours. You are a teacher of adults, not a nanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

If doctors alter a certificate, we are supposed to initial our signature with the correction. Calling the doctors office is the correct approach first up.

Advertisement