Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSDN or TechNet?

Options
  • 26-02-2010 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, posting this here as, well, it's an MS product, so I feel it's suited here.

I can get a MSDN or Technet subscription through work, but I'm unsure which is better. To clarify, I won't be really doing much, if any beta testing (which TechNet seem to for), but more into using it to solve problems that arise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

the_syco wrote: »
    Hi all, posting this here as, well, it's an MS product, so I feel it's suited here.

I can get a MSDN or Technet subscription through work, but I'm unsure which is better. To clarify, I won't be really doing much, if any beta testing (which TechNet seem to for), but more into using it to solve problems that arise.

In MSDN you will have the same products as the Technet less the Beta versions of Windows etc, but you will have Visual Studios, SDK etc...which is probably of little interrest if you do system only.

MSDN is really dedicated to developers, so unless you are one, just get the Technet, which is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Technet is win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

MSDN Premium costs about 2.5K whereas TechNet is about 349USD.. While MSDN Premium gives you absolutely everything, TechNet is usually limited to Server OS, Desktop OS and Buiness Apps which for most people is enough.

Just watch the licencing tho

Added a MSDN products per licencing level XLSX

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bmstuff wrote: »
    In MSDN you will have the same products as the Technet less the Beta versions of Windows etc
    If you take the below quote into consideration, which is better?
    This software and licensing may NOT be downloaded, installed and/or used on any home desktop, laptop, server or any other privately owned/personal-use equipment.
    Seems as work is paying for it, work won't like me using it at home, so I won't be. Think I'll still go for TechNet, as it sounds less for developers (which I'm not), and more for the tech monkeys.

/edit
    After reading Gingers comments, I'm unsure again. I'd be going after one or the other to pretty much gain help in going for 70-297, 70-284, and maybe TCP/IP (seems 70-059 has been "retired" though), so with that in mind which looks option looks better?

If you are not a dev then you dont need MSDN. Easier and cheaper to get a TechNet sub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ginger wrote: »
    If you are not a dev then you dont need MSDN. Easier and cheaper to get a TechNet sub
    As work is paying for it, meh, looking to see which would be more beneficial to me, and which would give me better resources to help me pass the above exams?

Ok 70-297 is Windows 2003 AD so that is covered in technet and 70-284 is Exchange 2007 IIRC and that is included in a TechNet sub.

If you are going for any of the MCSA, MCSE, MCTS or MCITP exams, TechNet is spot on.

And this page does a quick comparison of TechNet to MSDN http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/dd362338.aspx and this gives you the list of software in TechNet http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ie/subscriptions/bb892756%28en-us%29.aspx

Advertisement