Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Months Rent - Can I Have Your Opinions?

Options
  • 26-02-2010 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

We (the missus and myself) moved into a new apartment one month ago. It's a fantastic apartment but it's turned out to be very noisy, you can hear stuff going on in the apartments around you, especially our neighbour who does their washing all the time at 2-3am! The landlord has been very gracious and is allowing us to leave early, the only thing he's asked is that we gave him 28 days notice.

We found a new place and we'll be moving in there on the 6th of March. I gave our current landlord 28 days notice on the 16th of February so we'd be out on the 16th of March, so 10 days overlap between the two places.

The 26th of each month is when the rent is due for the noisy apartment. Seeing as how I gave 28 days notice that saw us leaving on the 26th of March (though we'd actually be gone before that) I spoke to him today and asked him what was the situation in regards to our last rent payment. I told him that we'd only be in the apartment for two weeks this month so would I just pay him for that but he said no that rent is by the month so that's what we need to pay.

Does this sound right? I gave him our notice which sees us moving out about two weeks after paying the rent (though we'll actually be gone one week after paying the rent as we're moving into the new place on the 6th).

Can I get some feedback from you guys. I understand where he's coming from but it does seem a little harsh as we'll have paid for 4 weeks but we'll only be there for one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Notice is usually from the date of the rent.

Potentially you tell the landlord that you are leaving because the sound-proofing / neighbours behaviour isn't up to scratch and that you might raise a PRTB complaint. Obviously you play good cop first, then bad cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Victor wrote: »
    Notice is usually from the date of the rent.

Potentially you tell the landlord that you are leaving because the sound-proofing / neighbours behaviour isn't up to scratch and that you might raise a PRTB complaint. Obviously you play good cop first, then bad cop.

Thanks for the advice Victor, I didn't know the notice was from the date of rent but that makes sense. I don't want to 'threaten' him with the PRTB. He's actually a decent landlord, professional and completely by the book. I'd rather not burn my bridges so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Anyone Else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Notice is from the day you give it so if you gave 28 days notice as requested on the 16th then you only owe for the overlap of that into the next month.

so its a case of monthly rent x 12 /365 x number of days you will owe until the end of the rental period.

However playing devils advocate here if hes been reasonable in letting you leave early then you should be resonable in return, because morally its the right thing to do.

Perhaps you should offer to split the different with him ?

Advertisement