Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musician/Band Search Site Project

Options
  • 26-02-2010 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey Guys,

I just created a site for Irish musicians and bands to create profiles so they can find people with similar interests to play/jam with.
    I got the idea from this forums from reading the "How To Find Yourself A Bandmate101" thread and seeing that a lot of posts didn't use that formula, so i created the a site to make users stick to a formula.

The site is http://www.irishmusiciannetwork.com and has been created for my Final Year Project in UCC as a Proof of Concept. I would really appreciate if you could just take a minute or two to create a profile and look around and leave me some feedback/criticism on the site and the idea itself.

Thanks for your time and I hope you can help a stressed student out!

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭balducci

Hi IMN,

Nice idea you got there. I have some suggestions for you, one which can only be described as 'a bit anal' :) the others probably quite practical -

1. Your webpages have a left to right scroll bar - they're very annoying! Maybe you could resize a few things

2. Send an automatic email to every account holder every 6 months or so asking them to reply if they would like to keep their profile on the site or to do nothing if they want their profile deleted. otherwise you get a directory with a lot of bad info down the road.

3. have better status options - maybe - in a band, lookin for band, lookin for a jam, something that describes a musicians level of 'seriousness' and/or availability - 'casual','in search of stardom','in band, here's our link' etc.... age as well, most bands look for musicians their own age or at least want to know that info.

Oh, maybe let guests have more access to info, ie. if someone wants to contact the band then they have to login/register

Anyway, hope that helps, that'll be 50 euro :)

Good Luck with the site mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 IMN

Thanks for the feedback Balducci! I really appreciate it.

1. I thought that there would be a problem with the size of the screen so thanks for confirming that for me. Web design isn't my strong point so I probably can't fix it but i'll try!

2. The automatic email thing was something I had thought about for a while, the reason I didn't implement anything like that was because I didn't want to spam people with emails especially because it is a college project that may not even exist in a few months.

3. I'm definitely going to change the status now that you have mentioned it, it was a bit basic/undescriptive. Seriousness thing is a class idea, wish I had thought of it before. I'll see if i can fit it in somewhere, because anytime I add something it seems to break the site.

Thanks again for this, it was exactly what I was hoping to get back.

I have donated the 50 euro to the site in your honour! I know you would have wanted it that way!

Hi emurf1,

Thanks for checking it out!
    I don't give people the option to have multiple genres when they are creating their account first because I was trying to make it easy/less time consumng to create a profile.

When you have it created though, if you go to the "Account" section you should be able to pick 5 Genres. (I thought anything more than 5 would be a bit of overkill.)

Thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Flynner64

Hi there, like the idea !

another limited option is the location. Just cos you're in say, Laois, you don't want to exclude what could be a good opportunity just across a border in Offaly, or Carlow. Maybe have a spread of counties under "Midlands, South East " etc

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Wormking2002

any option to find a singer? or have i missed that one....:) good effort...could turn out good...

• Advertisement

Hi Flynner64 and Wormking2002, thanks for taking the time to check it out!

Flynner64, I really liked your idea and when I went to implement it earlier today, it turned out to be a lot more difficult to do than I had thought. I'm bogged down in a lot of documentation at the moment so I can't give it a whole lot of time. Basically it involves some database coding which i'm almost afraid to mess with at this stage for fear of corruption/deletion. I will try and do it over the next few days though so thank you for the input!

Wormking2002, I have "Singer" in as "Vocals" which was my attempt to make it seem more "Professional"! I'll change it to singer now as it is an easy thing to change.

Thanks again guys, all of this is really helping out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Searching by band interests would be better, also more than one genre(and more genres too). Maybe just have it search a "genre" field people can put whatever they like in.

Advertisement