Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livigno - 27th March 2010

Options
  • 25-02-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,442 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I've decided to head off skiing for a week at the end of March, possibly in Livigno, Italy.
    The only dates that suit are the 27th of March for a week. I realise this is VERY late in the season so wondering whether it is worth the chance in this resort?
    This will by my second time skiing, having been in Les Angles a few years ago in mid march (snow cover was good at that time).
    What do people think of this resort and what do people think of going that late in the season?
    Reviews of the place seen decent for beginners,
    Thanks for any advice,
    Kippy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I cant comment on timing, but I found the resort to be excellent. The town is in a valley and one side of the main thoroughfare is beginner slopes, the other side is intermediate-advanced. Its small enough to walk from one end of the main part of town to the other, maybe not with ski gear though. There is a free bus service within the town, and taxis are (or were when I was there 2 years ago) €2 per person per trip.

There are plenty of restaurants to eat in a different one every day for lunch and dinner, and a good few decent pubs. Theres a big night club at one end of town, wouldnt be into clubs myself, hate them in fact, but this place wasnt too bad.

The resort itself is tax free, and there are plenty of shops selling big brand clothing, cigarettes, alcohol and computers/technology. I got a digital camera there for €350 that was €550 in Ireland at the time.

The thing that puts people off is that you usually fly into Bergamo, and the coach transfer is 5 hours. We stopped half way and got dinner which was included in the package. Coach journey didnt seem too bad actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,442 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Stee wrote: »
    I cant comment on timing, but I found the resort to be excellent. The town is in a valley and one side of the main thoroughfare is beginner slopes, the other side is intermediate-advanced. Its small enough to walk from one end of the main part of town to the other, maybe not with ski gear though. There is a free bus service within the town, and taxis are (or were when I was there 2 years ago) €2 per person per trip.

There are plenty of restaurants to eat in a different one every day for lunch and dinner, and a good few decent pubs. Theres a big night club at one end of town, wouldnt be into clubs myself, hate them in fact, but this place wasnt too bad.

The resort itself is tax free, and there are plenty of shops selling big brand clothing, cigarettes, alcohol and computers/technology. I got a digital camera there for €350 that was €550 in Ireland at the time.

The thing that puts people off is that you usually fly into Bergamo, and the coach transfer is 5 hours. We stopped half way and got dinner which was included in the package. Coach journey didnt seem too bad actually.
    Cheers,
    Been in contact with a travel agent today and doesnt look like there are any available spots in Livigno that late in the season. Can anyone recommend a good resort with a decent chance of snow that time of year.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If you see a good deal you can check the recent history of the resort here: http://www.igluski.com/snow-history

If you see a good deal you can check the recent history of the resort here: http://www.igluski.com/snow-history

Cheers,
    We're looking at somewhere in the three valleys now. http://www.les3vallees.com
    Will let ya all know how we get on.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Was also looking at Livigno in Italy and found incredible value out of England with Neilson at only £179 pp out of Gatwick!

http://www.neilson.co.uk/Snow-Check-Prices-Book.aspx

Decided instead to go with Bulgaria as they were offering Half Board in Borovets with Ski Pack and lessons for £275 pp. Ex Gatwick on March 27.

The same holiday ex Dublin was €849

http://www.balkanholidays.co.uk/winter_ski_holidays/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

just back from a boarding trip with 2 mates for a week to livigno.
    its a great place for boarding. the food is excellent and great value.

one word of advice tho is not to use www.LivignoSnow.com.
    i used this company run by Rob and Nikki. initially their service was ok, everything was booked without issue.

when
    we arrived to their meet and greet on the sunday night we booked and
    paid for (150 euro total for 3 people) a snow mobile & dinner night
    excursion on the tuesday night. on monday we werent feeling too good
    after a hard days boarding, so we decided to cancel the excursion on
    tuesday night. so we gave them a full 24 hours notice that we wouldnt
    be able to attend their excursion on tuesday.
    they would not refund
    any moeny for the excursion. when we mentioned this to them they would
    not budge, even a part refund wasnt on teh cards. this is a terrible
    service from a company. so u have been warned. i will be back to
    livigno next year but wont be booking with www.livignosnow.com

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

That funny cos I used Livigno Snow this year, actually just last week and found them to be one of the best services I had ever used on holiday. Did you go on the excursion in the end?

they ripped us off for 150 euro. we gave them over 24 hours notice that we couldnt go on their excursion, as we were very sore after the previous days boarding(only our 2nd boarding trip).
    24 hours is a long time in that environment. enough time i feel to have given a refund.
    even a partial refund wasnt offered, so very bad service..

Hey all,
    Just to let you know that we booked seven days in Reberty 2000, not far from Les Menuires/Val Thorens.
    There are only 4 our us going so we had difficulty booking anything else really and we looked at all options.
    The deal we are getting flys from London and includes, flights, transfers, Ski Rental, Local Ski pass, 3 daily meals and works out at around 830 Euro. Flights to London via shannon are an extra 80 euro including baggage so its not too bad.
    It seemed pretty expensive at first but with the all inclusive nature and quality of the accomodation it looks good now after having researched a few more options.
    France here we come!
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

baegan wrote: »
    they ripped us off for 150 euro. we gave them over 24 hours notice that we couldnt go on their excursion, as we were very sore after the previous days boarding(only our 2nd boarding trip).
    24 hours is a long time in that environment. enough time i feel to have given a refund.
    even a partial refund wasnt offered, so very bad service..

suppose that is bad craic. ye should have just went, it was one of the highlights of my week there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

baegan wrote: »
    just back from a boarding trip with 2 mates for a week to livigno.
    its a great place for boarding. the food is excellent and great value.

one word of advice tho is not to use www.LivignoSnow.com.
    i used this company run by Rob and Nikki. initially their service was ok, everything was booked without issue.

when
    we arrived to their meet and greet on the sunday night we booked and
    paid for (150 euro total for 3 people) a snow mobile & dinner night
    excursion on the tuesday night. on monday we werent feeling too good
    after a hard days boarding, so we decided to cancel the excursion on
    tuesday night. so we gave them a full 24 hours notice that we wouldnt
    be able to attend their excursion on tuesday.
    they would not refund
    any moeny for the excursion. when we mentioned this to them they would
    not budge, even a part refund wasnt on teh cards. this is a terrible
    service from a company. so u have been warned. i will be back to
    livigno next year but wont be booking with www.livignosnow.com

Why didn't you just rebook it for another day ? That way you still got to do it and you were not down the 150.

another night or another excursion wasnt an option with them,
    thats why we were so p"""ed with them...just very bad service and teh loss of 150 euro

Advertisement