Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrappage deal on Nissans

Options
  • 25-02-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,
    My mother-in-law is looking to buy an automatic Nissan Micra and avail of the scrappage deal on her old car (12 yr old car with 24k miles!!).

She has been told by 2 Nissan garages that the scrappage deal isn't available on an auto Micro, which seems strange. I'm guessing that they are referring to a specific Nissan scrappage deal - on top of the Government deal.

Anyone got any experience of this? I hadn't been aware of any such restrictions on the government deal.
    tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,271 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The Automatic Micra may not have low enough emissions to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Paschcom wrote: »
    Hi,
    My mother-in-law is looking to buy an automatic Nissan Micra and avail of the scrappage deal on her old car (12 yr old car with 24k miles!!).

24k? She must literally have only used to pop down to the local shop.
    alias no.9 wrote: »
    The Automatic Micra may not have low enough emissions to qualify.

Correct. Looks like auto is 159g. 140g is limit for government scrappage allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Micra is in a high band and as already said doesnt qualify. the high CO2 will also give you an idea of how hard on petrol they are. They are also an old design at this stage and aren't worth a sh1te second hand.

I'd look at a Yaris 1.33 Dual VVT-i Multimode instead. 100bhp, 5 speed box and Band A for VRT.

Your other options

Ford Fiesta Style 1.4 auto would cost around 19k
    Hyundai i10 1.1 auto is 13995 plus delivery
    Colt 1.3 auto (5dr) is 12897 plus delivery
    Suzuki Alto auto 5dr is 11690 plus delivery
    Nissan Pixo is 12755 plus delivery (Suzuki Splash same car but no auto option that I know of)
    Corsa 1.2 auto is 16500 plus delivery
    Polo DSG is around 23k.

These prices don't include scrappage and bear in mind if the VRT is less than 1500 quid (quite possible) you'll only get the VRT amount back from the Gov.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Paschcom

cheers. I hadn't been aware of the 140g limit.

Yes, she only goes up to the church and shops and to her bridge club - all of which are within a mile of her. She actually bought her current car with 15k miles on it 10 yrs ago!

She's used to Nissan's so I don't plan to confuse her, but the Nissan Pixo might be a runner. Its smaller so less risk of her hitting it off something. What's it like - reliability/build quality like? I'm always suspicious of the bottom of the range cars - probably because I'm 6'4" and can't fit into them!

The Pixo is a hateful little thing, was in one 2 weeks ago. It's more a Suzuki than a Nissan (Same car as Suzuki Splash)
    If she wants cheap and nasty, then the Alto for 1k less has to be considered.

Get her to drive the Colt,
    2009_mitsubishi_colt_ralliart.jpg

Nice high driving position and very cheap for what it is.
    The new Renault Nissans aren't a patch on the simple efficent car she has now. She might be used to her old one, but the new one isn't going to be similar, in fact seeing as most new cars have the same controls - she may as well get a good car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,271 ✭✭✭alias no.9

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Pixo is a hateful little thing, was in one 2 weeks ago. It's more a Suzuki than a Nissan (Same car as Suzuki Splash)
    If she wants cheap and nasty, then the Alto for 1k less has to be considered.

Get her to drive the Colt,
    2009_mitsubishi_colt_ralliart.jpg

Nice high driving position and very cheap for what it is.
    The new Renault Nissans aren't a patch on the simple efficent car she has now. She might be used to her old one, but the new one isn't going to be similar, in fact seeing as most new cars have the same controls - she may as well get a good car.

Is the Pixo not the same car as the Alto? The Splash's alter ego is the new Opel Agila. The Colt is probably a good recommendation out of that lot.

Apologies,

Pixo = Alto
    Agila = Splash.

Either way, the Suzie is 1k less to buy.

I suppose the main point is to not buy a Micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Paschcom

Does the Yaris come in auto? What does multi-mode mean? anything too complicated and she'll just be giving me grief via her daughter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

http://www.renault.ie/services/pricelist.html

The Clio Quickshift qualifies , did'nt think it would. Top spec one is €14,300 with sat nav has things like front and back electric windows ,climate control, bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

That's probably the best car mentioned so far, I hate Renaults in general but the Clio is a good car(even though it looks $h!t€ since they facelifted it, it was a really good looking car before that).

A Yaris MM is a good suggestion too but is a lot more expensive than the Renault, 17545(before scrappage), has a lot more power but hardly relevant for a car that only goes to shops etc.

Quickshift/Multimode are automated manuals, basically it is a manual gearbox with electronics to operate the clutch and change the gears(there is no clutch pedal, the car's brain figures all that out itself).
    The important thing OP is that it is the same to use as an Auto.

• Advertisement
Advertisement