Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting new build, but want to make changes???

Options
  • 25-02-2010 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭

I'm about to start building (5 year deadline is quickly approaching) but want to make a few changes - add extra Velux windows to rear and addition of sunroom.

I believe that the changes will be within the classification of 'exempt developments', however I am unsure if I can simply just make these changes during the build without applying for pp, or if I need to complete the house and then make the additions (which seems a bit daft)

Tried to find out the answer on the Dublin City website but it doesnt appear to be covered so appreciate your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I can hear the grinding noise of the worm can being slowly opened here :D

Where are you proposing to construct the sun room?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Casati wrote: »
    I believe that the changes will be within the classification of 'exempt developments', however I am unsure if I can simply just make these changes during the build without applying for pp, or if I need to complete the house and then make the additions (which seems a bit daft)
    Firstly, you can't believe they will be exempt. You have to be sure as retention is costly. The rules for exemption are black and white. Post the arrangement here and we can advise.

Secondly, i'm afraid you can't build them concurrently. The house has to be finished. Or at least practically finished. This may seam daft. but without it in place, anybody could add 40 sq.m to a house during building at will. Which is obviosuly a much worse situation.

you can however make it easy on yourself.
    There is no problem building foundations at the same time. This will save time and miney on excavations.
    Construct your opes to the final size and fill in with lightweight construction. This will save on demolition and the fitting of a lintel or RSJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Casati

When I say believe, I am certain they will be exempt. The sunroom will be built between the sitting room and dining room to the rear of the house (and not protruding to the side), and my plan is to have tiled roof on it to match the rest of the house. I have more than adequate rear garden space remaining to meet planning regs also. I'm thinking of adding 14 sq m

The velux windows again are planned to be simply additions to existing planned windows to basically provide more light into bedrooms

I will need to run my numbers and see how much it would cost to make these changes once the house is complete, even with foundations laid I fear that it wont make financial sense to bring all the trades back on site one by one in order to add a small room/ planning heat recovery system too so that will be a massive complexity too

Is there any flexibility with even the velux windows?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Firstly make sure your planning permission has no conditions limiting the carrying out of an exempt development. This is actually quite common.

Secondly and simply, you can only carry out an exempt development to an existing structure. So basically the house would have to be substantially complete (i.e. be in existence) prior to you starting building the sun room.

Advertisement