Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 64Bit on Medion Laptop

Options
  • 25-02-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi
    I have the Medion E7212 4Gb Laptop, pre-installed with W7 32 bit. It came with two W7 disks 32 and 64 bit. Might be a silly question but how do I upgrade to the 64 bit?
    Wheelieb
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

There's no upgrade path from 32bit to 64bit, you have to perform a clean installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Just had a look around and on this site http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1367968.html it said it "it may not be able to handle 64bit instructions according to the intel web-site" http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42925 I'd have a look into that before you try to install the 64bit.

If you go ahead after you read up on it just use the 64bit disk for a recoverey & it should install fine

• Registered Users Posts: 12 wheelieb

Thanks dacogawa, good info on discussion site. I've been using it for a month now in 32 bit, if I perform a recovery with the 64 bit disk will it clear all the stuff I've put on it AVG, ccleaner etc..?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

wheelieb wrote: »
    Thanks dacogawa, good info on discussion site. I've been using it for a month now in 32 bit, if I perform a recovery with the 64 bit disk will it clear all the stuff I've put on it AVG, ccleaner etc..?

Yes, you will lose everything if you reformat (software wise anyway). However, when installing x64, you can install over your x32 installation, and all your files will be saved in a folder called Windows.Old in the C Drive.

It makes things easier, since you don't need to back up all your pictures/music/etc. You will need to insatll programs again though.

And your laptop has a T4500 CPU in it; it supports x64 just fine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

One thing to be aware of most vendors still consider 64 bit computing to be the realm of big scary servers so don't expect much help getting a printer to work with it. I know most software vendors I've talked to don't really understand 64 bit computing and so expect you to be an expert.
    In short enjoy the extra power of 64 bit computing if you want to but keep a seperate computer or a 32 bit OS around to boot if you have problems. 64 bit computing is still in its infancy and until more people have it the hardware chaps won't bother to support it.
    Enjoy windows 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

One thing to be aware of most vendors still consider 64 bit computing to be the realm of big scary servers so don't expect much help getting a printer to work with it. I know most software vendors I've talked to don't really understand 64 bit computing and so expect you to be an expert.
    In short enjoy the extra power of 64 bit computing if you want to but keep a seperate computer or a 32 bit OS around to boot if you have problems. 64 bit computing is still in its infancy and until more people have it the hardware chaps won't bother to support it.
    Enjoy windows 7.

All (or very nearly) new HP and Epson printers have x64 drivers available on their site nowadays. x64 drivers aren't a problem any more. In some cases, the x32 drivers cna be made to work aswell.

Advertisement