Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paying hard cash for a car- is this a scam?

Options
  • 25-02-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi, just put a deposit down for my first car. I'm gonna pay the rest this week but the dealer wants me to pay in cash. Is this normal? This is a privately owned garage so I'm assuming its better for him to receive cash but I'm afraid I'm gonna be ripped off now or be scammed or something. Is paying cash OK? Its a few thousand...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

kaji wrote: »
    Hi, just put a deposit down for my first car. I'm gonna pay the rest this week but the dealer wants me to pay in cash. Is this normal? This is a privately owned garage so I'm assuming its better for him to receive cash but I'm afraid I'm gonna be ripped off now or be scammed or something. Is paying cash OK? Its a few thousand...

He's prob thinking you are gonna rip off with a cheque , cash is quite normal

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ask him to take a bank draft, better guarentee for him then cheque and better for you rather than carrying around wads of cash

Taking it directly for cassh may be trying to keep it off the books

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Yeah I asked him how about a bank draft but he said he'd really prefer cash. So its not too unusual is it, as long as I get receipts and documents etc? Just someone I know that was freaking me out that I was being conned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

As long as you get a receipt with details of warranty etc then you'll be fine, it doesn't matter how you pay

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

you've done a credit check on it have you?

A bit off topic but worth the cash nowadays seemingly from some posts i've seen recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

he wants cash? ask for a discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

corktina wrote: »
    he wants cash? ask for a discount!

absolutely..... BIG discount......

how much cash we talking here??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Triangle wrote: »
    you've done a credit check on it have you?

You mean a history check... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

probably wants to go under the radar for tax reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Its a good few thousand. Yeah just did a finance check there and it said that the car is not belonged to any bank or anything.

Another question- what documents should I be getting off him when I give the money and how do I get the car in my name?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

You should insist on using a bank draft
    1. for your own safety
    2. so there is proof of the transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

kaji wrote: »
    Another question- what documents should I be getting off him when I give the money and how do I get the car in my name?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/change_of_ownership

Also get a receipt, and the service history if it has any.

Advertisement