Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on rent relief urgent

Options
  • 25-02-2010 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi Newbie here,
    I am looking for a bit of advice in regards to my current situation.
    Basically I got laid off in December 6 weeks shy of redundancy so no payout,we were all caught by surprise even in the current economic climate.
    I have been renting a house through a friend since June,the rent is 550 a month as it is an affordable house and he lives elsewhere.
    I receive €196 a week only income coming into the house,I am recently married but my wife is from overseas outside the EU and we are waiting on her stamp 4 visa to be processed,she is dependant on me as she cannot look for work without a pps number yet.
    I have sent countless cv`s out to employers but it is a depressing situation as we all know on the jobs front and no luck so far.
    We have maxed our credit card and had no savings left to rely on,both my folks are pensioners and I could not ask them for help as they really don`t have it.
    I asked my mate(landlord) to fill out rent relief forms as he uses this address as his principle primary residence I thought this would be fine but he is too afraid to do this as he said they will call out and see he does not live here and should not be renting out the house.
    It was all fine renting last year as I thought I had a good secure job but now it is a nitemare,can`t even afford petrol.
    I am sorry this is a long post but I was wandering if we moved house could we claim rent allowance as he is not providing receipts,could we still claim rent relief under the threshold 66 per week my area and take a chance they will not call out or am I snookered.
    I don`t want to get him in any trouble for renting out his affordable house as he had no choice but to rent it.
    Constructive advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You already know what your friend is doing is wrong, so I won't labour the point.

They will definitely call out if you apply for rent allowance I'm afraid - it's one of the things they do automatically with a new application. They're calling out to ensure that the property is of suitable condition, not really nosing around. They're checking to make sure there is proper ventilation, that there aren't 30 of you in a one bed flat, that there's running water and sanitary facilities. However this is not to say that they don't count toothbrushes or whatever way they determine how many people are living there.

If you move to somewhere more legit they *might* ask where you were living before.

Unfortunately you'd be in a better position if he was actually living there. The 550 a month brings him in under the ceiling for rent-a-room scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I've been there mate, and my income (UK jobseekers allowance circa 2001) wasn't enough to pay the rent full stop never mind food for 2.

Anyway "rent relief" is a tax relief.
    What you would be applying for is Supplementary Welfare Benefit from your local community welfare officer. (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement)
    That said, your rent is too high for sharing - I'm almost certain that you will be unable to claim dependency for your wife if her residency is outstanding, so you will be regarded as "sharing". Otherwise in most areas you would have qualified easily enough.
    That said, if your "mate" isn't declaring the rental for tax and living somewhere else, he will be pounced on for not declaring his taxes. You cannot proceed with the application without him having to declare the rental.

I would be inclined to speak to your solicitor first (you'll be entitled to free legal aid - see http://www.flac.ie) before you mention her on any claim if she is from outside the EC just to be sure.

To be honest you probably should speak to Threshold as really you can't make a claim for rent supplement without creating other major problems for yourself or the "mate."

(PS "affordable" houses were supposed to be for people to live in, not rent out - not your fault, but your pal is abusing the system by renting it out, regardless of scamming the tax man).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A few things-

1. Rent relief is an allowance against taxable income. If you do not have taxable income, you cannot claim the allowance. You can make a retrospective claim for rent paid in the previous 4 years- I don't know the exact amount off the top my head but from memory its just under 300 net per annum.

2. Rent allowance- is a distinct possibility. Its sounds likely that you would qualify- however it would probably throw the spanner in the works for your friend. In this case- its possible that the entirety of your rent may be covered.

3. If you move- you probably could claim rent allowance elsewhere.

4. Your friend is going to get caught out sooner or later- if not by you seeking rent relief (which for the 6 months from June last year would only be a net 140 Euro or so), by someone or something else.

5. Your current financial situation is incredibly tenuous. You need to get yourself on a sounder footing. You *need* to get rent allowance- and you *need* to get it sorted asap.........

I would also suggest you post in the State Benefits forum- the good folk over there will probably have some helpful suggestions for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Thanks very much for your advice,it is a very worrying situation for us but we have our health and I am sure with the knowledge we get from boards it will shine a bit of light on the problem.
    I know my friend should not be renting out the house but it was too small for his family and I stepped in thinking it would suit both of us,hindsight ehh.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Goodluck Beagle001 - hope everything works out bud.

• Advertisement
Advertisement