Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S80 2.0D

Options
  • 25-02-2010 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi all,
    The old man is looking at a new Volvo S80 2.0D 140hp SE Luxury. €42k new. Looks like a nice car. Does anyone have any opinions or views.

Any comments welcome.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Personally, I think they are a nice car & very well specced, they do suffer from heavy depreciation though.

What type of driving does he do & does it have to be new? the new 1.6 Drive S80 can be had for about €30k cash, which is a significant saving on the price you quote for the 2.0D

If you're prepared to go second hand, 08 onward diesels can be picked up for just over €20k

• Registered Users Posts: 22 actually!

140 hp on a big car like that seems very low. How torquey are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

actually! wrote: »
    140 hp on a big car like that seems very low. How torquey are they?

They're quite good with that engine actually. Refinement is supposed to be particularly impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I'd be more tempted to find a 2.4 diesel 2008 one, they're typcially a well looked after car, so find a nice fresh one and I reckon he'd be better off. Unless he really wants new and won't be selling for a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The S80 is really comfortable to drive. The only one I have any real experience of is the 2.5T in Auto which is thirsty and pretty slow for a 2.5T.

Get him to test drive the 1.6d version - he'll probably be pleasantly surprised with how well it goes. Sounds crap on paper, but it's been re-geared to suit the engine so is fairly decent.

The resale on all the S80's is going to be poor, so which engine he goes for probably won't make a difference in a few years time.

An alternative to look in to would be the BMW 520d SE Business Edition. It's about to be replaced, but the specification is pretty good - not quite as nice inside as the Volvo, but more involving to drive and will hold it's value much better. There aren't many left, but there should be something left in a dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

R.O.R wrote: »
    Get him to test drive the 1.6d version - he'll probably be pleasantly surprised with how well it goes. Sounds crap on paper, but it's been re-geared to suit the engine so is fairly decent.

Am I right in saying that the S80 1.6D is shortly lowering its CO2 to below 120, i.e. into VRT and tax band A?

Am I right in saying that the S80 1.6D is shortly lowering its CO2 to below 120, i.e. into VRT and tax band A?

I haven't heard anything about that, but then again - as it's fairly important information for me to have, I'd probably be one of the last to be told!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I haven't heard anything about that, but then again - as it's fairly important information for me to have, I'd probably be one of the last to be told!

Just had a look and Volvo UK have it listed on their site: 119 CO2 and 62.8 mpg.

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/all-cars/volvo-s80/details/pages/technical-spec.aspx

edit: old 129 CO2 on Irish site

Yes you are. I can't think of the modifications they've off the top of my head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,005 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The resale on all the S80's is going to be poor, so which engine he goes for probably won't make a difference in a few years time.

A €30k diesel 1.6 is so well priced that I don't expect the resale to be poor in a few years time. A €40k diesel 2.0 is a completely different ball game...

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    A €30k diesel 1.6 is so well priced that I don't expect the resale to be poor in a few years time. A €40k diesel 2.0 is a completely different ball game...

Unfortunately, a base model 316d or A4 120 will still be worth more than the S80 in a few years time.

Good news for those who don't follow the herd, but not great for those trying to get them in to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I quite like the current S80. But according to the UK motoring magazines, the current S80 has poor ride comfort which IMO would be an unforgivable fault in this car. Then again,I wouldn't pay much heed to those magazines as their main purpose seems to be to promote Ford and one or two other makes and criticise everyone else. Funny how the S80 and Ford Mondeo are on the same platform yet
    You get an unsettled ride, noisy suspension and numb steering....it's off the pace for comfort and refinement.
    Wonderful comfort and refinement...Family cars don't come any better than this...the Mondeo’s comfortable, well-controlled ride comes into its own.
    Oh and the Renault Laguna is apparently poor as well
    Mediocre handling and a jolting ride...there's too much jiggle and thump over patchy surfaces. Plenty of other family cars are more enjoyable and more comfortable to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I quite like the current S80. But according to the UK motoring magazines, the current S80 has poor ride comfort which IMO would be an unforgivable fault in this car. Then again,I wouldn't pay much heed to those magazines as their main purpose seems to be to promote Ford and one or two other makes and criticise everyone else. Funny how the S80 and Ford Mondeo are on the same platform yet

Have always wondered about that, how the S80 could apparently be so poor and the Mondeo so excellent, and many mags were saying the mondeo is better to drive than the E92 3 series, so you would imagine the volvo should be able to be as good to drive but apparently, no theres a world of difference

Unfortunately, a base model 316d or A4 120 will still be worth more than the S80 in a few years time.

Of course. Even a €30k S80 will lose more than a base offering of a premium badge car. But the depreciation won't be as shocking as it used to be (on a new petrol S80)

Iirc a few years ago I saw a UK survey that listed all main models sold with a depreciation from new to 3 years old. Some undesirable cars lost 75-80% in 3 years. A typical small family hatch (i.e. Golf) lost about half its value and the two cars that kept their value best were the BMW 320d and Mercedes C220CDI, both keeping more than 70% of their value, which is surprisingly high for the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

we're not in the UK lads.

I can't see the S80 faring out worse than something like an A4, the traditional problems with old big cars don't really apply to the 1.6d S80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I don't see the 2.0D commanding any sort of premium over the 1.6D second hand, so theoretically you've lost €12k the moment you drive off the forecourt.

-Chris- wrote: »
    I don't see the 2.0D commanding any sort of premium over the 1.6D second hand, so theoretically you've lost €12k the moment you drive off the forecourt.

My point exactly.

-Chris- wrote: »

But the 1.6D hasn't been on sale a wet minute.

Yes, but if it's gonna be 30k then it's unbelievable value. In a few years time, someone looking for a big exec saloon that wants low road tax will eat you alive for something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nice car and it is on my list when upgrading the current mobile but I could not stomack buying a brand S80 with my own money. If the OP's father doesn't need the extra performance then maybe the 1.6d makes more sense.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yes, but if it's gonna be 30k then it's unbelievable value. In a few years time, someone looking for a big exec saloon that wants low road tax will eat you alive for something like that.

Only in Ireland would a 1.6 diesel S80 be more desirable than a 4.4 litre V8.:rolleyes:

thats where we live though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

VolvoMan wrote: »
    But the 1.6D hasn't been on sale a wet minute.

But he won't be selling his car now, he'll be selling it in two/three/four years when people have gotten used to S80s costing €30k-ish and three year old S80s costing €15k.
    If there's no premium placed on the 2.0D over the 1.6D in the second hand market, then your 2.0D has cost you nearly double the depreciation of the 1.6D.

Advertisement