Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice....?

Options
  • 25-02-2010 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, so I have a 03 punto (yeah yeah, I know :( ), low mileage (35k or so) and it's kinda broken. The power-steering pump is gone and the windshield wipers motor is fúcked. Parts and labour, this is gonna cost about €800 to fix. My plan is basically to fix it up and get rid of it. I've seen older puntos with more mileage go for over €2,300 in the buy&sell. If I got that, I'd be well happy. My mechanic, however, reckons it'd be more worth my while to just not fix it and sell it now, deducting around €800 from my asking price. This is my first car (obviously, or why else would I have a punto :P ) so I'm not really sure what to do...

Thing is, I don't reckon anyone would really want to buy a Fiat Punto that needed €800's worth of work done before it was road-ready. Apart from that, it's NCT'd till next year so everything else is basically grand.

Anyone any advice or insight on what would be the best way to do this? The €800 isn't really a problem; I have the money. I'm just wondering what would be the best/easiest way to do it.....

Thanks in advance, lads&ladies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Okay, so I have a 03 punto (yeah yeah, I know :( ), low mileage (35k or so) and it's kinda broken. The power-steering pump is gone and the windshield wipers motor is fúcked. Parts and labour, this is gonna cost about €800 to fix. My plan is basically to fix it up and get rid of it. I've seen older puntos with more mileage go for over €2,300 in the buy&sell. If I got that, I'd be well happy. My mechanic, however, reckons it'd be more worth my while to just not fix it and sell it now, deducting around €800 from my asking price. This is my first car (obviously, or why else would I have a punto :P ) so I'm not really sure what to do...

Thing is, I don't reckon anyone would really want to buy a Fiat Punto that needed €800's worth of work done before it was road-ready. Apart from that, it's NCT'd till next year so everything else is basically grand.

Anyone any advice or insight on what would be the best way to do this? The €800 isn't really a problem; I have the money. I'm just wondering what would be the best/easiest way to do it.....

They aren't major problems, get it fixed and keep driving it. €800 does seem like a lot to fix the two problems.

With parts from a scrap yard it could probably be fixed for a fraction of that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Jaysus .... 800 euros is steep ... that must be for OEM parts???

I'd expect around 450 - 500 mark .. windshield wiper motor could be easily sourced from a scrappy.

Would get the Power steering pump new or reconditioned though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Asking a mechanic what to do in this situation is like asking a politician how to vote.

Ask yourself how much utility you've had out of it. How much maintenance/ repairs it's absorbed. How long you've owned it. Does it still suit your needs.

Personally, I wouldn't sell that car unless I was treating myself to something a lot better. I'd just fix it and hold onto it. I think €800 is very strong though. You need to find a good mechanic.

To answer your question, I'd want some incentive to take on a car with €800 of work to do. Simply deducting one figure from another won't fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I would source the parts myself, maybe have a look on ebay for quality parts. Then I would fit them myself or get a few quotes from indi garages. That price is way too expensive, I'd expect an engine rebuild for that price :pac:. If that's all that's wrong with it I would fix and keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lisnagry

For sale for €2300 dose not mean they got that.I would be very surprised if 03 Punto's made that kind of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Thanks guys, all your advice has been of much help. I appreciate it loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

As far as i know the power steering fault on Punto's is a common
    enough problem, think its done to the EPS system and a sensor
    on each wheel that is part of the steering rack. Ring a few garage's
    see can they fix that, as for the wipers bein at fault i've also come across
    this if its not the fuse gone, take off the cover around the wiper
    stalk clean as best you can using a bit of WD40. Clear any dirt from the
    contacts. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you could just get a wiper motor and linkages (I'm guessing dodgy linkages caused the motor to burn out) from a scrapped car. The PAS motor might be hard to find, and if you're keeping the car for a bit a used motor could go again.

Advertisement