Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing XP on Inspiron 1525 - F6 won't work to install SATA drivers

Options
  • 25-02-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Trying to downgrade my Inspiron 1525 from Vista to XP. I know that I have to install the SATA drivers - no problem, until now.

The F6 key DOES work, but on the XP start-up screen (installation screen) when you get the option to "Press F6 to install additional drivers" the F6 key doesn't work, BUT, it works all other times

Any ideas?

-EDIT- I can install XP by going into the BIOS and changing the SATA driver to AHA Mode so i'm out of the pickle, but i'm still curious as to why the F6 key wouldn't work?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Were you using a floppy to provide the drivers?

Did you try hold down the f6 key?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can't say I know why F6 isn't working, but as you've found you can install XP without issue if you set it to ATA mode - this applies to most of the newer DELL kit actually.

Advertisement