Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Cee'd

Options
  • 25-02-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My mother is in need of a new car, she does very little mileage usually but she is partial to the odd trip down the country.

The old man is liking the 7 year warranty so he went in and had a look:

08 Cee'd 1.6D EX 115bhp
    53k km
    Half leather
    A/C
    Fogs/Alloys etc.

€13.5k was the best he could do, main KIA dealer.

Anyone got any opinions on 'em? Is there something better suited?

Like I said she's not doing huge mileage so the petrol might be a viable alternative although we have a habit of driving until dead so the lower tax is nice and we're not too worried about resale value either.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Hi all,

My mother is in need of a new car, she does very little mileage usually but she is partial to the odd trip down the country.

The old man is liking the 7 year warranty so he went in and had a look:

08 Cee'd 1.6D EX 115bhp
    53k km
    Half leather
    A/C
    Fogs/Alloys etc.

€13.5k was the best he could do, main KIA dealer.

Anyone got any opinions on 'em? Is there something better suited?

Like I said she's not doing huge mileage so the petrol might be a viable alternative although we have a habit of driving until dead so the lower tax is nice and we're not too worried about resale value either.

Thanks.

Cracking Car, very good engine for it's size. Specification on the EX is better than you'll get in most similar sized competitors, and the price is very good compare to a new car.

Mileage is a bit higher than expected in something like that. Too early to tell if they are able to handle huge mileage or not as there aren't that many around.

Double check the maximum mileage on the warranty to see if there is any possibility of hitting it before the 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Best spec and engine, don't know about price. doesn't seem too excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

The warranty is 7 years or 100k miles whichever is sooner, so if she does, on average, 10k miles p/a (our 12 year old Almera has ~120k on it) it should last almost the 7 years.

Cheers for the replies, appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

One of the girls in work got one recently and LOVES it. Think her deal was similar enough, traded in a 00 mazda 323 and paid €13 or €13.5k with it.

A lad in my last job bought a new one in 09, went from an 06 Jetta, he is very happy with the Kia. €13,500 isn't too bad a price but they could come down another bit with 35K miles on it. The thing about the Kia warranty is that you probably won't need to use it anyway. It's a confidence statement on their behalf. Some manufacturers would want you to pay for their confidence statement.

The Kia is very well built and is a great car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

heres is my gripe with these "7 years warranty" deals offered by kia.

we bought a new car last year, we had it narrowed down to 3 cars, glof, pre-ceed, auris. The golf was 4k more so that was ruled out, Pro-ceed was looking like a winner, nicer looking and more responsive engine, untill i questioned the breakdown on the warranty, it only covers the major parts i thought this was resonable enough as most companies do this but i happened to ask him what was covered, he took me to a computer and (stupidly) showed me section of the parts warranty list...

*battery 2 years
    *timing belt / all belts not covered at all
    *gearbox 3 years
    *braking system 2 years
    *electrical componanants 2 years

and the fact the car HAS TO BE serviced by a recigonised kia service centre (basiclly a dealership) and they charge through the nose, thats what i can remember off the top of my head, shortly after we bought an auris, couldn't be happier with it, it mightn't be as nippy or as good looking but compairing resale prices now im happy i didnt buy it.

this isnt an attack on kia i know a few people who have them but i just thought i'd share this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I drove on recently and I f'ken hated it. Not a patch on a focus for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jamiecall

Cheap price for a cheap car. Not very nice to drive. Would much prefer a Civic, Golf or Focus.

heres is my gripe with these "7 years warranty" deals offered by kia.

we bought a new car last year, we had it narrowed down to 3 cars, glof, pre-ceed, auris. The golf was 4k more so that was ruled out, Pro-ceed was looking like a winner, nicer looking and more responsive engine, untill i questioned the breakdown on the warranty, it only covers the major parts i thought this was resonable enough as most companies do this but i happened to ask him what was covered, he took me to a computer and (stupidly) showed me section of the parts warranty list...

*battery 2 years
    *timing belt / all belts not covered at all
    *gearbox 3 years
    *braking system 2 years
    *electrical componanants 2 years

and the fact the car HAS TO BE serviced by a recigonised kia service centre (basiclly a dealership) and they charge through the nose, thats what i can remember off the top of my head, shortly after we bought an auris, couldn't be happier with it, it mightn't be as nippy or as good looking but compairing resale prices now im happy i didnt buy it.

this isnt an attack on kia i know a few people who have them but i just thought i'd share this story.

The gearbox is covered for 7 years, so too the ECU. I wouldn't expect a timing belt to be part of a warrenty as it is a service item, so too the brakes. Discs, pads, hoses etc all wear.

RoverJames wrote: »
    The gearbox is covered for 7 years, so too the ECU. I wouldn't expect a timing belt to be part of a warrenty as it is a service item, so too the brakes. Discs, pads, hoses etc all wear.

So are you calling me a lier:p, because that i am not, phone the salesman yourself and ask him it was him who showed it to me, it was the gaarage in letterkenny anyways as has previously been stated, you pay for what you get.

So are you telling me if you get a new car have done say 1000km and your engine fails due to timing belt failure you wouldn't expect it to be covered by warranty? and FTI i got a full set of new pads on my auris 1500miles after i had it (car was a year old when i bought it) as there was a squeeking noise when braking according to kia that isn't their problem if id have bought a kia and that happened id be on my own, whereas toyota changed my pads all round, so go figure. and ive had my full dails (speddo ect) changed in december as i "thought" that the milage left to empty and fuel guage was not accurate, so they took my word for it and changed the whole dash unit (miles reset to 0 was the only downside) as they are all electronic items again you'd be on your own with kia (if it happened after 2 years), as i was told by the salesman while looking at the screen electronics are only covered for 2 years

• Advertisement

So are you calling me a lier:p, because that i am not, phone the salesman yourself and ask him it was him who showed it to me, it was the gaarage in letterkenny anyways as has previously been stated, you pay for what you get.

So are you telling me if you get a new car have done say 1000km and your engine fails due to timing belt failure you wouldn't expect it to be covered by warranty? and FTI i got a full set of new pads on my auris 1500miles after i had it (car was a year old when i bought it) as there was a squeeking noise when braking according to kia that isn't their problem if id have bought a kia and that happened id be on my own, whereas toyota changed my pads all round, so go figure. and ive had my full dails (speddo ect) changed in december as i "thought" that the milage left to empty and fuel guage was not accurate, so they took my word for it and changed the whole dash unit (miles reset to 0 was the only downside) as they are all electronic items again you'd be on your own with kia (if it happened after 2 years), as i was told by the salesman while looking at the screen electronics are only covered for 2 years

1)I'm not calling you a liar I'm telling you the gearbox is covered for 7 years.
    2) You buy a year old car and the garage replaces the pads free after 1500 miles, this would be because they should have replaced them prior to the sale, again it's due to wear and tear, do 30K miles in 11 months and no one is obliged to cover pads on a warranty of a year, its wear.
    3) Belt snaps after 1000km and your engine is fecked so you're covered with Kia as the engine is covered. With any manufacturer is you exceed the miles for a belt change and the belt snaps you won't be covered even on an unlimited mileage warranty.

It's all simple if you think about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

I'm testing the pro_ceed on Monday. I'll let you know how I get on. On the price for 1.6cdri, 115bhp, alloys, metallic paint and delivery I got quoted 16455. This included scrappage.

And for warranty I was told it would have to be serviced in a Kia authorised dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭granturismo

I've driven the SW for about a year now. Get her to check the reverse gear change - I dont like the lift and shift mechanism.

Apart from that I havent had any problems. There are more comfortable options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

We have an late '08 reg in my house....:)

Not all main dealers are rip offs.....We had good & bad with them but now know the best place for servicing etc without being ripped....

Very compy in the passenger seat......get about 700k to a full tank 50 yoyo.

Well spec'd, Over 30k on ours one with no probs.

No, not everything is covered under warranty but still gives peice of mind for most parts. It's a 150km or 7 years so pretty good.

Better than alot of competitors anyway as we looked high 'n low before buying.

Only down side is the cornering at high speed....not the best at handling...Is your mam a racer??? lol

Over I do like the one we have so no complaints.....Best of luck if she buys!!! ;)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jamiecall

Why not buy something that might hold some value in 2 or 3 years?

jamiecall wrote: »
    Why not buy something that might hold some value in 2 or 3 years?

A friend has shelled out €7000 to go from an 08 Corolla to a 2010 one, another friend has a Focus van, 08 in mint condition (used as a car), €10 000 to trade up to a new one. The Kia won't lose much more than any other brand and costs a lot less up front. In 3 or 4 years they'll shift a lot quicker than the likes of a Megane.

RoverJames wrote: »
    A friend has shelled out €7000 to go from an 08 Corolla to a 2010 one, another friend has a Focus van, 08 in mint condition (used as a car), €10 000 to trade up to a new one. The Kia won't lose much more than any other brand and costs a lot less up front. In 3 or 4 years they'll shift a lot quicker than the likes of a Megane.

ha ha , do you work for kia or something?:rolleyes:
    my auris is worth 1500, more that a lesser speced ceed of the same year, according to autotrader/carzone ect... and no-one is talking about a megane, an auris (well bad example with the recalls).....focus / golf , although they are a bit more expensive to buy you will spend less money trading up, but i dont think that trading up os a problem in the OP's origional question, anyways this is getting way way off topic, cos you seem to slate/correct anyone who says anything bad about kia when they are only giving the op their opinion.

As i have and someone else has already said you pay for what you get, its the same as everything in life, you can go flying with airlingus for say 500 but same route with ryanair for 200 sure you will get there but with less room and more hastle! bottem line is you pay for what you get, you pey less to buy a ceed than a golf and you get a far less superior car!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

my auris is worth 1500, more that a lesser speced ceed of the same year, according to autotrader/carzone ect... and no-one is talking about a megane, an auris (well bad example with the recalls).....focus / golf , although they are a bit more expensive to buy you will spend less money trading up, but i dont think that trading up os a problem in the OP's origional question, anyways this is getting way way off topic, cos you seem to slate/correct anyone who says anything bad about kia when they are only giving the op their opinion.

As i have and someone else has already said you pay for what you get, its the same as everything in life, you can go flying with airlingus for say 500 but same route with ryanair for 200 sure you will get there but with less room and more hastle! bottem line is you pay for what you get, you pey less to buy a ceed than a golf and you get a far less superior car!
    Ya, but with the Auris you pay the Aer Lingus price and get a Ryanair flight. I had a rental for a week. Apart from decent suspension which soaked up low speed bumps well, it was piss poor. Haven't been in the Proceed, but the i30 is a nicer car inside and out and I reckon would be just as reliable long term, so I can't see why the ProCeed wouldn't be. I wouldn't knock it so quickly to be honest.
    I have no direct experience with one however, so I'll hold off on a final verdict!

1) I don't work for Kia
    2) Your Auris cost more new than the less specced Kia of the same year
    3) I mentioned a Megane because with the scrappage they are a similar price to the Kia, also they were mentioned in the thread earlier I think
    4) Regarding slating / correcting, you said a gearbox was not covered by the Kia 7 year warranty, you think brakes should be. You posted an opinion that was incorrect and misleading and thus it needed correcting.
    5) Regarding 4) above I honestly don't care what you saw on the screen, gearbox is covered for 7 years ;)
    6) A Focus or a Golf a bit more expensive ! Is a few grand not a large amount of cash to some folk these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

OP: I drive a 1.4 Petrol Ceed and so does my wife, they are very underated cars, the only problem we have had on both cars was a noise from the steering which was fixed without any hassle from the dealer.

The petrol engine has a timing chain, not sure about the diesel. I will be getting a diesel Cee'd next, wifes car has done 50k miles so far since 2007 and no problem with it other than above.

I get both serviced at a Kia main dealer every 12k miles and cost never above €250 for a major and €150 for a minor service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Kia is for people too mean to drive a Skoda :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Kia is for people too mean to drive a Skoda :D

6a00d83451bc0669e201156f880057970c-800wi

:D

Advertisement