Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship Rugby League.

Options
  • 25-02-2010 7:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

Just a quick heads up,Sky's coverage starts tonight with a cracker. Leigh V Barrow. 7:30 SS3. Standard last year was exceptionally high with some superb televised games. Here's hoping it continues on an upward trend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Always look forward to the Thursday night Championship games. There are some quality players in the league and the games are played with just as much passion as the SL games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Humdinger of a game, great grandstand finish. Leigh look a different proposition under Millward. The dual registration system, from the evidence of that game, is going to have a massive impact on quality and standards in the Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Hopefully the Skolars might be a "bit" better this year in the National League, think they have 4 or 5 Harlequins on their books this season.

The Thursday game is a god send, and also a chance for me to try and learn a bit more about the game and its traditional teams.

Given the intensity of the Championship, after all many of the teams have aspirations to join the SL and time is running out to get the necessary silverware, as injuries start to take there toll I think the SL clubs may become a little more possessive about dual-registration player, which could create problems for clubs such as Widnes and Leigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 spursman

what with the dual-registration players, what the ruling havn't heard anything about it

• Advertisement

Dual registration was brought in this season to allow young Super League players, who aren't ready for regular first-team rugby, to get game experience by playing for a Championship club.

The player must be under 23. He can train and play for either his SL or Championship club, often training part of the week which each club, but can only play once in each round of fixtures.

Each Championship Club is allowed a maximum of 4 dual registered player and no more than 3 from any one SL club.

It's Batley/Halifax tonight. SS3 . Coverage starts at 7:30.

Another really enjoyable Thursday night game....anyone actually know how old Stanley Gene is? Its amazing the guy is still going....

toomevara wrote: »
    .anyone actually know how old Stanley Gene is? Its amazing the guy is still going....

Stanley says he is 36 :eek:, I would reckon he is at least 42 or 43. He is a legend. Carbon dating or counting the rings on his trunk when he is chopped down is the only way we will find out I think.

Widnes V 'Fax tonight. Sky Sports 4. 7:30. Sky seem to have a real love for Halifax this year, two televised appearances in a week....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

Could be an interesting game, with two of the favorites for the Championship up against each other. Look out for Widnes wearing a very interesting strip in aid of the Everyman Men's Cancer Charity.

Widnes V 'Fax tonight. Sky Sports 4. 7:30. Sky seem to have a real love for Halifax this year, two televised appearances in a week....

An intriguing tie, 2 very evenly-matched teams.

Given Paul Cullen's, supposed, insightful analysis of all the SL team's tactics and performances every week on Sky, Widnes should romp home in the Championship this season;)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

Please leave PC alone he is a god and a walking dictionary. Why say one word when you can say 500!

Lockster wrote: »
    Could be an interesting game, with two of the favorites for the Championship up against each other. Look out for Widnes wearing a very interesting strip in aid of the Everyman Men's Cancer Charity.

When you said "interesting".....dear lord! Great cause though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

When you said "interesting".....dear lord! Great cause though....
    ?type=display

I quite like it :o

?type=display

I quite like it :o

It was the shorts with the fig leaf motif that made it for me!!

Basement battle tonight: Keighley V Batley. SS3 7:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kellco88

Tim Bergin given man of the match tonight against Dewsbury fair play to him hopefuly he can kick on from that.

Probably a bit off topic but i think the champ 1 game in this weeks fixtures shows how far expansion has come with the Skolars v Scorpions. Being honest, without a team outside the heartland to follow I don't know if i would have got into the game.

kellco88 wrote: »
    Tim Bergin given man of the match tonight against Dewsbury fair play to him hopefuly he can kick on from that.

Sky plussed this last night, going to watch it this eve.

• Advertisement

Anyone catch the Sheffield/Keighley game last night? Bizarre, low quality game, but really exciting, entertaining stuff. Also no Irish involvement though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Sky plussed this last night, going to watch it this eve.

How did Tim Bergin play?

How did Tim Bergin play?

Solid, didn't set the game alight, but gave a good account of himself . Looks lively, looks for work. Not afraid to get in at first receiver and have a crack if its warranted. Very solid defensively, and clearly at home at championship level. League Weekly rated his performance at 6/10.

Advertisement