Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move, a few questions

Options
  • 24-02-2010 10:13pm

Okay, I'm looking to move to another apartment. The one I'm in right now; while it works, it's way too small especially for the rent I'm paying and I took a cut in pay last year too like so many of us. I just have a few questions.

I moved into this place in September 2008 and signed a one year lease. Under the terms of this lease I need to give at least one month's notice when leaving, but come September 2009 I wasn't asked to renew the lease. Does this mean I'm technically "out of lease" or do I still need to abide by its terms? The landlords and agents I've seen so far were a bit hesitant over the length of notice I have to give but the last thing I'd want is to give notice before I've got somewhere to move to.

I've viewed four one-bed apartments so far. Two were via a letting agent and the other two I was dealing with the landlords directly. I also got this place via a letting agent; I signed a PRTB registration form, pay the rent via standing order and receive my own ESB bills. Those ones where I was dealing with the landlord directly were ringing alarm bells in my head. They seemed to want cash-in-hand, and the ESB was paid to the landlord rather than setting up a separate account or meter. It also makes me wonder whether they're even registered with the PRTB or not (I don't think I'd have the nerve to ask). Is it necessarily dodgy to be paying rent and/or electricity in such a way?

Finally, I may decide to avoid the minefield and stay where I am. If so I may want to talk with my landlord about reducing the rent if possible, due to the pay cut. I'd assume that will involve signing a new lease?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Ask them outright, if they don't give you straight answers to being registered and declaring income for taxation they'll have given themselves away to you anyway. Better to learn now in advance than get stung on a lease.

My first landlady used to euphemistically declare "I don't like cheques."

Take your time in looking around. If you haven't signed a new lease but didn't declare a part 4 in writing to your agent or landlord, then you probably can give 1 months notice. With the length you are there it is probably 2 months max anyway even under part 4.

I know its a pain looking at places but if you get a bad feeling about the landlord its definitely a no no.

By the way if the rent is too high nothing to stop you asking your landlord for a rent reduction and say you are thinking of moving out. A lot of people have had massive pay reductions and are struggling to pay rents.

Hmm, according to Threshold I'm required to give 42 days notice as I've been resident for between 12 and 24 months.

Advertisement