Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suggest a Car!

Options
  • 24-02-2010 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I am 17 and am saving up for a car at the moment. Hope to have it for the summer. Looking for a car around €1500 and looking for recommendations. To be honest I am an idiot when it comes to cars so any advice would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

you dont want to spend 1500 on your first car, youll be spending enough on insurance any way

get something cheap and small

ford fiesta, VW polo or peugot. i would get something japanese, there are reliable and go forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Fiesta 1.25 - getting ridiculously cheap for a car as capable

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

EPM wrote: »
    Fiesta 1.25 - getting ridiculously cheap for a car as capable

x 2 was my first car and was a great wee runner, nippy enough too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Get a 1.3 colt, they are like go karts, great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

1.3 Civics also go like go-karts, but I'll get banhammered if I talk about them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

you can pick up a lot of mid 90's with long nct for under €500

1.25 Fiesta Zetec-S for 3-500
    1.3 Starlets for around €500 (around 1k for a 98'/99')

Corsa's go for around the €500 mark as well,
    but having had a loan of one I wouldn't recommend

Polo's even poor spec ones seem to be advertised at close to €1k
    and if you don't mind crap plastic interiors a clio or 106/saxo

either way go for a 3dr! look nicer if you decide to add alloys, window tints,
    or factory spec side skirts and spoilers

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

colt or civic are fairly safe bets as first cars, and usually plenty to be found for sale, and you should get a few years out of one to build up your no claims, then go for somethin else!

i had a 1.4 astra as my first car, nothing exciting about it whatsoever but it never let me down and wasnt expensive to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Thanks for the tips.

I am looking for a 5 door and not really interested in adding alloys or spoilers and the like. Just a car to go from a to b. Was hoping to keep it for quite a while and was looking around the 00-03 mark.

Found a 00 Peugeot 206 1.4L LX 5dr for €1,400 with insurance @ €900 for the year. Got a feeling the insurance is a misquote so hoping it won't go up before I get the car!

Advertisement