Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doing LC this year planing to do to ITT to do computing or electronic engineering

Options
  • 24-02-2010 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

sorry spelled title incorrectly it should be: Doing LC this year planing to go to ITT to do computing or electronic engineering

Can someone Please :D describe the courses to me :confused: i missed the open day and now im regretting it (not like i had much choice anyway :( )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Currently in 1st year of Computing myself, what do you need to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CraZyLaurie

Currently in 1st year of Computing myself, what do you need to know?

well im interested what the course is like and about is it boring or is there alot of new things are you having fun doing it?:D

ohh yea and is there maths in it and is it hard or easy course to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I do computing so I'll outline what the basics are. 1st year and 2nd year there is a bit of maths. It's not taxing, it's actually really easy stuff. You do a bit of everything in 1st year before deciding what stream to go into in 2nd year. There is programming and IT management degrees to choose from. The programming course focus more on programming (surprisingly), the IT management degree focus more on networking, databases and the business side of IT.

Both degrees are basically the same, you just have to choose which you like better.

As the years go on you do have to get more dedicated to the degree and an interest in all things computing really helps. I wouldn't bother doing the course unless you are really, really interested in computing because a lot of people drop out early on.

Teferi wrote: »
    I do computing so I'll outline what the basics are. 1st year and 2nd year there is a bit of maths. It's not taxing, it's actually really easy stuff. You do a bit of everything in 1st year before deciding what stream to go into in 2nd year. There is programming and IT management degrees to choose from. The programming course focus more on programming (surprisingly), the IT management degree focus more on networking, databases and the business side of IT.

Both degrees are basically the same, you just have to choose which you like better.

As the years go on you do have to get more dedicated to the degree and an interest in all things computing really helps. I wouldn't bother doing the course unless you are really, really interested in computing because a lot of people drop out early on.

Thank You for the reply i am in fact Very interested in computing been going on and on about it ever since the start of fifth year :D im a bit computer crazy (im supposed to study for my mocks maths exam now yet here i am) anyway id like to ask is it an easy course to get into?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

sorry spelled title incorrectly it should be: Doing LC this year planing to go to ITT to do computing or electronic engineering

Can someone Please :D describe the courses to me :confused: i missed the open day and now im regretting it (not like i had much choice anyway :( )

I can speak for electronic engineering. In my opinion its one of the more demanding and dare i say tougher course in the college.
    Be prepared for long hours. Everyweek you have this thing called labs.Basically,labs are the practical element of the course. So lets say your learning about the different voltages across different electonic compoenents in class, You will then go to the lab and build circuits and some testing to verify the theory that was in class.

As the years go on, you may have an area you'd fancy like :

telecommunication-This is to do with networks(mobile)
    Programming-This is writing instructions in a computer language
    Semiconductors-Here you dress up in a spacesuit(Intel) and learn how integrated circuits are made.

Ok the above arent great descriptions but theres many other areas you could go down but you'll know what you'll like or dislike as the years go on.

The maths isnt that bad.They start of at the very basics like adding fractions and before you know it you'd be a fourier transform genius.

If your a girl it may or may not bother you that around 95% of the class are male.
    If you have any questions fire away.

• Advertisement

@ geurrp the yard

hey Thanks for taking the time to tell me all that i really apreasiate it
    no it does not bother me at all i am a girl and so what i wanna learn one or the other course

hmm quetions.. ah right now cant think of any right now (trying to cheat on my maths mocks but who doesnt i talk too much...)

ohh yea now i do have a question could i do both these? :

"Programming-This is writing instructions in a computer language
    Semiconductors-Here you dress up in a spacesuit(Intel) and learn how integrated circuits are made."

Bit of hijacking of the thread, but after 2nd year is there still Web Development orientated (sp) stuff?

OP, on the Maths, 1st Semester Maths is doable and 2nd Semester Maths (so far) is basically stuff you've done in school, ogives, standard deviation, etc...

Bit of hijacking of the thread, but after 2nd year is there still Web Development orientated (sp) stuff?

Yeah, it's more in the IT Management stream, though they do do a little bit in the programming stream.

Yeah, it's more in the IT Management stream, though they do do a little bit in the programming stream.

Crap.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

Crap.:D

Both streams do the same amount of web development (2nd and 3rd year). IT management get a module in 4th year called 'WSD (think it stands for web system development)', programming will have covered most of the concepts in that before hand.

@OP, I'm a 4th year in the programming stream and I'd recommend that stream over IT management. Mainly because of the subject difference. IT management initially focuses more on networking but by 4th year both streams have the same experience with the exception of a security module(programming don't do it).

Programming is a harder stream but covers a better range of subjects related to IT. Both streams cover the same amount of networking (with the exception of what I mentioned above) and databases, IT management cover some more operating system and business modules than programming.

• Advertisement

Both streams do the same amount of web development (2nd and 3rd year). IT management get a module in 4th year called 'WSD (think it stands for web system development)', programming will have covered most of the concepts in that before hand.

@OP, I'm a 4th year in the programming stream and I'd recommend that stream over IT management. Mainly because of the subject difference. IT management initially focuses more on networking but by 4th year both streams have the same experience with the exception of a security module(programming don't do it).

Programming is a harder stream but covers a better range of subjects related to IT. Both streams cover the same amount of networking (with the exception of what I mentioned above) and databases, IT management cover some more operating system and business modules than programming.

IT Man cover more networking man, we go up to Net4 (or a similiar module) while you go up to Net3. IT managment also does a module on security.

Do you do a module on mobile computing? That's more networking type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

Nah we do 4 this semester as well. Yeah we did DMC at the same time as you guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭IdHidden

CraZyLaurie,

I am a Computing lecturer in ITT Dublin, if you are interested in doing the course and finding out more about the College you could come in (bring any interested friends) and visit us, we can show you the Computer Labs and mobile and networking equipment etc. To arrange a visit just call or email. I sent you contact details in a private message.

You can read about the course here (although it is a formal description of what we do):
    http://www.ittdublin.ie/FullTimeCourses/Computing/

The two courses offered by the Dept of Computing have very good employment records. If you take our course you will be introduced to and get to use the lasted technologies. We provide a good learning environment and all the staff are friendly.

It is not all work either, our students also have a good social life, but I'll let them tell you about that!

Advertisement