Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reliable mechanic in Cork?

Options
  • 24-02-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a reliable mechanic in Cork to change the head gasket on my Peugeot 306 Convertible 2 liter.
    I was just quoted €1200 for the job, which I think is a bit steep, considering a friend got the head gasket on his Audi 80 2 liter replaced for €600.

Any suggestions?
    :D

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I'm not being smart, but a new engine might work out cheaper. Replacing an engine could sometines work out a lot cheaper than repairing the head. It really depends on the car. It's worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

cadaliac wrote: »
    I'm not being smart, but a new engine might work out cheaper. Replacing an engine could sometines work out a lot cheaper than repairing the head. It really depends on the car. It's worth a look.

I was thinking that as well... but then if you get a replacement engine, you don't know the state of the head gasket either.
    I don't think the head needs to be repaired, as the head gasket isn't gone yet, it's on its way out though....

what engine is it? 1.8?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

2cv wrote: »
    ...I was just quoted €1200 for the job, which I think is a bit steep, considering a friend got the head gasket on his Audi 80 2 liter replaced for €600...

Surprisingly, replacing a headgasket is a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string scenario IME.

Can you be sure your mate is getting all of the recommended related work done for €600? I would suspect not.

cadaliac wrote: »
    what engine is it? 1.8?

2 liter

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    Surprisingly, replacing a headgasket is a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string scenario IME.

Can you be sure your mate is getting all of the recommended related work done for €600? I would suspect not.

Well it was the same garage that quoted me €1200.... They claim that an audi is easier to work on than a Peugeot :-)

2cv wrote: »
    2 liter
    sorry, didn't read the post correctly.
    oK, I will be speaking to my mechanic later this evening and I will see what he says. If he is will to do the work I will PM his details to you. Otherwise, I'll post what he says here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Give Denis Henderson A Ring 0214314242...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭mountain

Give Donnacha at Cork Engines a call, he is doing some work for me at the moment, and certainly seems to know what he is doing.

021 4354535.
    based down in Little Island area,

Thanks for the tips lads... I'll start ringing around tomorrow :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement