Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance advice please

Options
  • 24-02-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I was in an accident during the cold spell and my car was written off. The total claim came to 7000 euro. I had fully comp insurance. My insurance company is now looking for 1823 euro for next years cover, It was 640 before the claim:mad:

I was on to a broker and the best deal so far was 850 euro for fully comp but the excess will be 4000 euro:eek:. His next best offer was 2400 euro.

So what are my options, will going TPFT make much of a difference or does the 4000 euro excess offer sound reasonable? Any tips & advice will be much appreciated :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Looks like you lost your no claims bonus.

The €4000 excess does seem to be a bit steep. Are you a young male driver by any chance?

Best thing to do is ring around a couple of different insurers, don't do online quotations. As far as going with TPFT instead of Fully Comp, thats really your own choice. Obviously had you had the same incident with TPFT you wouldn't have been covered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Was the damage only to your own car in this accident or is there also a claim for other parties?

The increase sounds really steep but then as previous poster asked, are you also a young driver.

Switching to TPFT will not save you a huge amount but, in the event of another collision you are on your own, €2,400 as an excess then will start to look attractive!

The only person who can decide is you...

Did you replace the car with another car at €7k? Obviously value of car to you will have some impact on decision whether comp is required. You could consider getting an older car for 1-2 years whilst your insurance premium recovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Damage was to my car and a famers fence, also the car was towed. Im 29 and i have my full licence for over 2 years now. Ive been driving for 4 years with no claims but as mentioned I didnt have no claims protection. I assumed I had no claims protection so my bad for not reading the full details of my policy. I replaced the car with another for 5000 euro. The total I recieved from the insurance was 4900, the total claim comes to 7000 euro. So 2100 euro has gone to the fence repair and tow truck.

Just on a side note, At most, the fence repair should not have cost more than 300 euro:mad: So im not impressed that my insurance company has paid out a possible 1800 euro for the fence repair.:mad:
    I have sent a letter requesting a break down of costs for the claim but i have yet to hear back.:mad::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Did you try to get a quote online from the likes of nononsense.ie they are not bad and in their case the highest excess is €2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The problem with the cost of getting the fence fixed is that the Farmer might have gottena quote for a builder to do it and then done the work himself. The cost breakdown will not tell you anything, Towing around €100 - €150, possible storage while claim was being sorted, €50 per day maybe.

I had a similar situation a few years back, hit the back of the car, reckoned the cost of repai to his would have been around €2k, ended up around €4.5k. Insurance company didn't want to know about my arguements on it and paid it out.

Sorry to say it, but you will just have to suck it up and pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Sorry to say it, but you will just have to suck it up and pay it.

Unfortunately, +1

You could try ringing small local brokers and explain the situation. They'd be more likely to negotiate with an insurance company to get the price down than say the likes of 123.ie etc. Some insurance companies can be a little more understanding with the one off accidental claims, such as yours. This is my own experience while working for a broker, and might not be the story with all brokers/insurers

As far as the claim breakdown, the insurer should supply you with this no problem. Ring them to find out what is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Did you try to get a quote online from the likes of nononsense.ie they are not bad and in their case the highest excess is €2000.[/QUOT

Nononsense wont quote me along with many others. It seems that nobody is interested in quoting me if you if you have claimed in the last 2 years.:(

Looks like it a matter of just going ahead with the ammount my insurance company are looking for. Thanks for the info lads

Advertisement