Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E34 1.8 engine kaput

Options
  • 24-02-2010 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Mate has a 91 bmw518 and the engine has just detonated.

Should he walk away or is there any point in thinking of fixing this.

He loves the car.

If he does repair it... what is he looking at cost and part wise, and whats the long term prognosis gonna be.

Maybe I should do a vote.

I want him to walk but he is thick enough to persevere.

please help

Fix it or bin it 16 votes

Fix it, he loves the car
    0%
    Bin it, don't be a fool
    100%
    ARGINITEcantdecidemondymikehomer90budhabobgearsStevie DakotaCharlieCrokerCianRyansamsemtexno1beemerfanFlesh GordenMuckiebud1970BonitoGitb1 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Bin it, don't be a fool
    Fix ....

It's nice to see these on the road !

Then again I'm a bit of a fan :d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

What kind of condition is the rest of the car in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Bin it, don't be a fool
    I say fix too. But not with a 1.8.....go bigger, these cars are getting rare now so if it was me I'd try save her but depending on condition of body etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bud1970

Bin it, don't be a fool
    good excuse to replace the 4 cylinder 1.8 with a decent 6 pot 2.0 or more!! love the note of those!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Bin it, don't be a fool
    Another one for fixing it. Definately too few of these on the road, maybe do a Wheeler Dealers on it and use this as an excuse to give it a complete overhaul.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Bin it, don't be a fool
    bud1970 wrote: »
    good excuse to replace the 4 cylinder 1.8 with a decent 6 pot 2.0 or more!! love the note of those!!!!:D

Not a good idea, wiring loom, exhaust, wheel and a host of other mods would make this an insane idea, replace like for like or ditch it and find another E34. Brilliant cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Economically it would be silly to spend too much on a car this old as the cost of repairs are likely to be more than the cost of the car. If it was a battered old Carina or something then it would not be worth doing.

However, the beemer is a rare car these days and as long as the rest of it is in good nick it would be worth repairing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

Celtxx wrote: »
    Economically it would be silly to spend too much on a car this old as the cost of repairs are likely to be more than the cost of the car. If it was a battered old Carina or something then it would not be worth doing.

However, the beemer is a rare car these days and as long as the rest of it is in good nick it would be worth repairing.

wow surprising response

car is in good nick, it will need some steering and bushes also.

like the idea of a 6 pot engine but the hassle that goes with that gives me the shivers, I don't think I will even suggest it to him.

What's wrong with the engine do you know ?

RoverJames wrote: »
    What's wrong with the engine do you know ?

crankshaft cracked

it was overheating and fuel line was leaking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,837 ✭✭✭✭unkel

How much for an engine fitted? Anyone any idea?

Why did he buy a 518 in the first place? Won't cost any less than a 520 to buy and the latter will cost only marginally more to tax, etc.

Nice cars though the E34. Most have been scrapped in recent years and only the good ones still around will make it as a classic car some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Lovely e34 2.5 for sale over on bmw-driver.net.. Guys looking for 1800..

Edit: 1500 now.. e34

unkel wrote: »
    How much for an engine fitted? Anyone any idea?

Why did he buy a 518 in the first place? Won't cost any less than a 520 to buy and the latter will cost only marginally more to tax, etc.

Nice cars though the E34. Most have been scrapped in recent years and only the good ones still around will make it as a classic car some day.

It was very cheap.

Lovely e34 2.5 for sale over on bmw-driver.net.. Guys looking for 1800..

Edit: 1500 now.. e34

€1500 to buy + €760 VRT perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Bin it, don't be a fool
    Fix it, very fond of thoses BMW's. Cool retro motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I had an E34 last year and I really liked it, it was a 520i 6 cyclinder and it sounded amazing. Hard to say if it is worth putting money into a 4 cylinder 518i... Say she is very underpowered with that engine. Too big a car for that engine in my opinion. I'd try stick a 6 cyclinder into her as cheaply as possible..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

While those old 5's are lovely cars and date from a time when BMW were interested in engineering excellence and making well built cars unlike a lot of the modern rubbish they make, I really don't think a 518i is worth saving.

What I would say OP is to tell your friend to go and find himself a well cared for 520i or 525i, that way the mourning over the loss of a 518i will be very short lived;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hat i would do: buy e34 525, keep 518 for parts etc....

1.8 is waaaaay to small engine for these cars, even 2.5 feels slugish....

thought i am just a fan of e34.... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Bin it, don't be a fool
    I might have to change my mind, why pump money into the 518i when this can be got so cheaply...

http://manchester.gumtree.com/manchester/59/53038659.html

Advertisement