Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$1m for the first superman comic!?

Options
  • 24-02-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

A copy of the first comic to feature caped hero Superman has been sold on the internet for $1m (£646,000).

The 1938 edition of Action Comics No 1 - which originally sold for 10c - was sold by a private seller to a private buyer, neither of whom was named.

Stephen Fishler, co-owner of the US auction website Comic Connect, said it was "the Holy Grail of comic books".

The sale smashes the previous record price for a comic book of $317,200 (£205,000) in 2009.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8529504.stm

I have to say I can't imagine any comic no matter how rare being worth that much to me.. I can't imagine stumping up 1,000 let alone 1,000,000!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, I saw this recently and have to admit I was perplexed by it. I understand the reasons on a theoretical level (ie that as vintage collectable items items like this are particularly rare and have an arguable historical value) but no comic could ever be worth that much to me.

That being said, no item of any sort could be worth that much to me, I don't think. Certainly not something where the content or information contained within it is what I appreciated, rather than the physical vessel. It's a perceived value thing, I guess - for collectors it's a case of valuing the object as a whole, whereas for me there wouldn't be much difference in reading the original comic or a reprint of its contents in a Showcase volume.

Different strokes and all that. (Whutchu talkin' bout, Willis? etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Mark92

:eek: wow. thats a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I wonder how much Batman would be worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭subedei

ah to be honest, I dont see an issue with this, considering that some fine art paintings go for the same amount as the annual income of a small country. Both are extremely over priced, i certainly wouldnt pay a million but suppose its fair in a world of over pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Supply & Demand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭morrowa64

more money than sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

That_Guy wrote: »
    I wonder how much Batman would be worth.

Turns out it's worth more! Just set a new record today :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8538223.stm
    A comic showing the debut of superhero Batman has been sold for more than $1m (£655,000) at an auction in Dallas.

The rare 1939 copy of Detective Comic No 27 was bought by an anonymous bidder from a seller who also wished to keep their identity secret.

The sale comes just days after an early edition of a Superman comic sold for £1m - only to be outdone by Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That proves it. Batman >> Superman. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

Obviously Batman won ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭John 187

How much for Hawkman #1? That's got to be worth ten mill easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement