Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have UPC fibre broadband but cant get cable TV

Options
  • 24-02-2010 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Wondering if any of you know if this makes sense, it doesnt to me.
    I am in swords and have been a upc customer for yonks even in previous addresses.
    We have been on UPC mmds and I had eircom broadband. I saw the packages available in UPC, much faster BB upload/ download speeds so I rang them to inquire if i could be moved to cable. They said yes. My presumption was that if we were moved to cable that i would have cable tv and the fibre BB. Nope. The guy came out, changed the socket thingie, gave me router etc so i asked him can he hook up the tv to cable now aswell. He said it might be possible but it would be a different call, thats not his area. A bit miffed I rang UPC and they said its not possible to move the tv services to cable.
    My question is why not? Are the BB services on a different type of cable, is that the "fibre" bit?

Thanks for listening

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

This sounds like madness. It is the same cable the does both.

I assume you have analoge TV coming through the broadband cable. Check this and if you do call them and explain that you can get TV through the new cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

paulm17781 wrote: »
    This sounds like madness. It is the same cable the does both.

I thought so!

I assume you have analoge TV coming through the broadband cable. Check this and if you do call them and explain that you can get TV through the new cable.

we have the MMDS aerial on the roof and a direct line going through the wall out to the aerial.
    Looking at the socket that he put in for the BB there is an extra co-axial type connection that looks like a tv socket. Reckon i`m been taken for a ride.
    I`ll give them a ring this week and ask for some sort of explanation. It was the missus that rang previously as the a/c is in her name.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

saltie wrote: »
    we have the MMDS aerial on the roof and a direct line going through the wall out to the aerial.
    Looking at the socket that he put in for the BB there is an extra co-axial type connection that looks like a tv socket. Reckon i`m been taken for a ride.
    I`ll give them a ring this week and ask for some sort of explanation. It was the missus that rang previously as the a/c is in her name.

Thanks

You can't have broadband from UPC without a cable that is Digital TV capable, no reason that you couldn't be migrated to Digital TV over cable

tinners wrote: »
    You can't have broadband from UPC without a cable that is Digital TV capable, no reason that you couldn't be migrated to Digital TV over cable

Thank you. I will definitely follow up on this. Blackguards

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Actually, you can. In my area, the TV was running off the old MMDS system and the broadband/phone off normal cable until they switched it over completely.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Actually, you can. In my area, the TV was running off the old MMDS system and the broadband/phone off normal cable until they switched it over completely.

really? so it is possible that i`m not been taken for a mug. The guy was adamant that it was not possible when talking to the missus. Said he was sorry if we had misunderstood blah blah..
    I suppose i`ll have to wait and follow up some time down the line.
    Thanks for all replies

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yup - for a couple of months here, folks could get broadband/phone but only limited TV service (MMDS) with no Digital+ or HD etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

really? so it is possible that i`m not been taken for a mug.

mcr8dd.jpg

Just kidding.

"Not possible" is an out and out lie. Not yet available is possible. It seems odd alright but they may not have switched it yet. I'd still try connecting a TV to the cable and see if you can tune in any channels.

Ranicand wrote: »
    mcr8dd.jpg

Just kidding.

:D too much time eh!

• Advertisement

paulm17781 wrote: »
    "Not possible" is an out and out lie. Not yet available is possible. It seems odd alright but they may not have switched it yet. I'd still try connecting a TV to the cable and see if you can tune in any channels.

i think theres a different code for standard cable. I cant even remember the code for mmds, though i think its something simple like 132 or something like that and standard is something like 133 but not sure as i say

i think theres a different code for standard cable. I cant even remember the code for mmds, though i think its something simple like 132 or something like that and standard is something like 133 but not sure as i say

Erm... what? :D

Get the cable from the cable modem, plug it into your TV. Do a channel scan. If you find any, there are channels on cable. If not, there aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

OK, probably a dumbass question, but if we have no TV is there any chance of getting UPC bb? There are ariel sockets but they aren't connected to anything AFAIK. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

From UPC's website:

Price shown is when added to an existing TV connection. Otherwise a Fibre Power Broadband Standalone Charge of €7.75 a month applies.

So, yes. Ring thm up. Cable might be disconnected however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Barneyballs

Does anyone know if free cable tv will get disconnected if you buy UPC broadband only?
    The previous tennants in my house had UPC & I now get 18 channels through the wall connection without any set top box... If I get UPC 25MB broadband I think they might cut off the tv even if I self install? :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Does anyone know if free cable tv will get disconnected if you buy UPC broadband only?
    The previous tennants in my house had UPC & I now get 18 channels through the wall connection without any set top box... If I get UPC 25MB broadband I think they might cut off the tv even if I self install? :(

If you get UPC Broadband they can't cut off the TV. In fact, you'll have the analogue service legitimately in that case, for as long as it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is an extra charge of 7.50/8 per month for broadband and no TV but as ICDG says, the TV will continue to work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Easy way to test this: get an f-connector to regular TV plug adapter (or some kind of lead to plug your tv into the UPC socket) and plug in your broadband modem cable or whatever cable fits, into the back of a TV. See if you can tune in the 17 analogue UPC channels that every regular cable connection in Swords has!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The only way to get TV on an analogue telly, absent a set top box, will be UPC from the end of this year. Depending on area they will supply somewhere between 10-18 channels.

This will be thrown in with the BB even if you do not take a Digital TV package.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭zg3409

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Depending on area they will supply somewhere between 10-18 channels.

Some areas do not have analogue, for example Cork. Also many areas have a headend from MMDS. It can be hard to tell, as the aerial may be miles from your house. So depending on the area it's 0-18 channels. Hence the query on this thread. The only sure way is to contact UPC.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This will be thrown in with the BB even if you do not take a Digital TV package.

I thought everywhere that had broadband had analogue (except cork). this thread seems to conflict with this, although it is not confirmed 100% yet.

The analogue channels are not thrown in. Indeed some people are paying for basic analogue, and broadband and have never had a digital box, so it's not really thrown in, it more leaks by, and they do charge extra if you get broadband with no TV although if you get BB and phone there is no extra charge then.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Forgot about the MMDS fed isolates, eg in Balbriggan and Monasterevin etc. They may not send analogue in after an upgrade to two way because they never did since they turned off analogue MMDS itself around 7 years ago. Thereafter the MMDS was digital only.

Cork is the only town with no viewable analogue feed because Cork was the only town that encrypted analogue I think. Forgot about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Yeah, Cork City and any surrounding areas that were originally cabled by Cork Multichannel TV had encrypted 20+ channel analogue television.

For a while the analogue and digital services co-existed, in the Chorus days. But, when UPC took over, they massively expanded the digital service, i.e. going from Chorus' rather limited line-up to the full digital cable service that was available in ex-NTL areas.

They then did a box-swap for anyone who was still on analogue, and once that was complete the analogue Cork Multichannel head end equipment was switched off permanently.

As far as I am aware, it's the only area of the UPC cable network that has no analogue at all. The network carries RTE 1, RTE 2, TV3 and TG4 possibly because they had some obligation to in certain buildings where no TV antennae were installed i.e. you get normal RTE services, if you wanted anything else you needed a decoder. The same continues to apply with digital CATV here.

The whole city seems to have been upgraded to full fibre-power broadband though. They fairly rapidly rolled out fibre nodes over the last few years.

I'm not sure if it's 100% complete, but I would suspect that their next priorities here might be areas like Carrigaline, Ballincollig, parts of the city's suburbs too that were not cabled during Chorus' era when they seemed to think MMDS was 'grand'.

These satellite towns are bigger than some major midlands towns e.g. Carrigaline : 12,835, Ballincollig 17989, Midleton : 13,000 ish, Glanmire around 12,000

• Registered Users Posts: 10 metalking6488

I have upc bb and phone in maynooth but can only get 3 analogue stations. I only want it for setanta ireland and i was told i could receive up to 18 channels, the same as my neighbours have. Does anyone know what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Change your TV settings to Ireland, or get a different one I'm afraid! The TV needs to be able to tune VHF channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Change your TV settings to Ireland, or get a different one I'm afraid! The TV needs to be able to tune VHF channels.

If you can't do that, see if you can source a cheap Irish-spec DVD recorder or find an old VCR. These have built-in tuners that will quite happily tune into Irish analogue cable frequencies.

Just watch the cable channels via the DVD recorder / VCR!

Advertisement