Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ramifications of a complaint to tenancies board

Options
  • 24-02-2010 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hey,

Im just wondering what the ramifications of a complaint against me to the tenancies board is?
    I had an issue with my landlord, which basically meant I gave her 200euro out of my deposit to cover some minor things that would not even cost that. She decided this was not enough and has harrassed me with five calls per day for two weeks looking for more money. I ignored the calls as as far as I see it, I have moved out and given her money out of my deposit and that is the end of it. I have now been informed that she has decided to lodge a complaint against me with the tenancies board.

Now this does not bother me as I think Im in the right. I was going to register one against her for a couple of things but is there actually a point?

Im just wondering, if i go to rent again (although hopefully I wont have to as I wanna buy a place), will this supposed complaint have any effect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I can't see a problem if the complaint isn't upheld.

If a complaint is made, you should lodge a response.

Write everything down. Now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Im just wondering, if i go to rent again (although hopefully I wont have to as I wanna buy a place), will this supposed complaint have any effect?

No, it's not a 'black mark' against your name if you're involved in a tenancy dispute. Your new landlord, if you rent again, will have no idea that you were involved in any hearing.

The PRTB will weigh up the case and make a ruling, if it's in your favour then you'll move on without any problem. If a ruling is made against you then you'll probably have 7 days to pay any outstanding amount.

Hopefully in the future a blackmark system will be available so that tenants can be aware of a landlord's history and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Star_Me_Kitten

Ah thats fine!! I severely doubt any ruling made would be against me as its such a minor thing that they are moaning about, and fact is I gave them money to cover any problems they had (none of which would have cost what I gave them).
    My gut feeling is they know that Im a bit of a soft touch and were trying to scare me into handing over more money, and wont even report it to the PRTB.

If she does, I now know that its not a black mark system and wont go against me if I go to rent again. I heard from the neighbours that there was problems with the last tenants too so maybe it would be a good thing if they introduced a black mark system so you would be made aware of any disputes. I dont know the situation with their previous tenants but I do now the way they spoke and acted towards me was insulting intimidating and harassing, so I wouldnt be suprised if they were out of order on the previous case as well.
    Thanks a million, that answered my question and put my mind at ease!

Advertisement