Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this work - USB to network ?

Options
  • 24-02-2010 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of external drives that I wouldn't mind having on a network, but they're USB only.

If I got a couple of these Would I be able to plug them into the USB & then have them (useable) on the network ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Nope looks like these are USB network cards for adding an external NIC to a PC not for network enabling USB devices. You might be better off just sharing out the USB drive from a PC but I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe look for a NAS box caddy with no drives and recycle the disks from your external drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

iMax wrote: »
    I have a couple of external drives that I wouldn't mind having on a network, but they're USB only.

If I got a couple of these Would I be able to plug them into the USB & then have them (useable) on the network ?

They won't work as far as I am aware, you need a NAS device or NAS adapter or connect the drives to a networked pc.

Google for NAS adapter which is the cheapest option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Cheers guys. How about this. I already use Devolo homeplugs, so if this would work, it'd be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

iMax wrote: »
    Cheers guys. How about this. I already use Devolo homeplugs, so if this would work, it'd be ideal

No they won't work either, the usb hard drives have to have something that gives them an IP address to be available on a network, merely attaching them to the network won't work unless they are attached to

(1) A PC/Fileserver which obtains the IP address
    (2) A NAS Device
    (3) A NAS adapter
    (4) Another device (games console etc) provided they support it

• Advertisement
Advertisement