Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much discount is reasonable?

Options
  • 23-02-2010 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Am looking to buy a car for cash and have no trade in. Looking at cars up to max 40k and one to two years old. Wonder what is reasonable discount I should expect. So far about 5% i.e. 2k is all I can manage. Is this about right? I thought I would get more considering not looking for trade in.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Whats the car you're looking at. At 40k you should be able to get way more off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You should get more on a straight deal but it really depends on what the car is standing the dealer vs the sticker price. All you can do is push hard to get the best price and keep looking at other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

some cars (even premium ones) are being advertised at reduced prices and the dealers genuinely don't have much margin in them.
    Depends on what you're looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

cars are 08 Lexus gs 450h and various BMW 5 series 530d and 09 520ds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I doubt you will get much more than 5% off a used car.

New cars are different, but I'd imagine most used cars now are priced to sell.

Anyway, its the cost to change you need to worry about, not dscount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

carsfan wrote: »
    cars are 08 Lexus gs 450h and various BMW 5 series 530d and 09 520ds

I did some enquiring into a 08 GS450h today myself.
    Now Uk doesnt seem to be worth while for alot of cars but they are from 20,900 sterling (asking) at a lexus dealer with 40,000 miles
    11k euro vrt. that beats the irish asking prices anyway. If they were to knock another couple of thousand off for ya, well, then its close.
    Dont fall into the trap of thinking you will get good mpg from the hybrid. Real world figures are 25 to 27 I hear.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Go to a few auctions to get a rough price of the final bids.
    Another option is to visit the AIB yard in Milltown where there are lots of reposesed cars at very good value.

Another option is to visit the AIB yard in Milltown where there are lots of reposesed cars at very good value.

Are they actually for sale to public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

mickdw wrote: »
    Are they actually for sale to public?

Thought it was to the trade only....

Have thought about UK option but not sure figures stack up due to currency changes also do you think cars from uk will be worth less than equivalent irish cars in a couple of years.
    Would like to get more info on AIB yard in Milltown.

• Advertisement

I dont see how uk cars will be worth less. With the massive influx of new to nearly new car from uk directly by the dealers, I think in about 3 years time people wont look twice. I prefer the mile clock tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There is definitely better deals to be had on 08 cars from the UK than here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

mickdw wrote: »
    I did some enquiring into a 08 GS450h today myself.
    Now Uk doesnt seem to be worth while for alot of cars but they are from 20,900 sterling (asking) at a lexus dealer with 40,000 miles
    11k euro vrt. that beats the irish asking prices anyway. If they were to knock another couple of thousand off for ya, well, then its close.
    Dont fall into the trap of thinking you will get good mpg from the hybrid. Real world figures are 25 to 27 I hear.

Is that VRT figure before or after the €2,500 rebate that should be available to Hybrid cars?

R.O.R wrote: »
    Is that VRT figure before or after the €2,500 rebate that should be available to Hybrid cars?

Its €2000 I think and it appears that the 2000 is already taken off based on the omsp given & the vrt figure they came up with. Now if realistic figures were given for omsp of under 40k, then vrt would be nearer 9k but last time I checked they were showing omsp of nearer 50k

Edit: The most basic model is available for 9k vrt. so that puts more pressure on the irish price although, I can see the revenue adding a few quid for extras on most cars tbh

Mc Love wrote: »
    There is definitely better deals to be had on 08 cars from the UK than here!

My current car, 2008 audi A5 seems to be selling cheaper here than in uk.
    Cheapest one on autotrader is 21k sterling for 08. add currency conversion & about 8 vrt, thats about 32k landed. They are available here for 30k

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Once again any cash discount available will depend totally on how competitively the car is priced day 1.

Consider 2 identical cars:

1/. Advertised at €40k. Straight sale purchase price is maybe €38k. Cash discount is 5%.

2/. Advertised at €41.5k. Same straight sale purchase price €38k. Cash discount is 8.43%

Buyer of car 2/. above thinks they've got a better cash discount.

The key is to figure out what the car is really worth. Asking prices are irrelevant.

I thought that dealers factored in a percentage of their margin that they could give up if there was no trade in. Very hard to know fair price for the cars as there is a wide disparity in prices from what I can see at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

carsfan wrote: »
    various BMW 5 series 530d and 09 520ds

I'd imagine that the new model will push prices down once they start to hit the streets

I agree, but the various BMW dealers I have talked to say that there is great value in what they are selling them for now and that they will not get any much cheaper. Not sure I really believe that.

Advertisement