Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Deacons in the Parish...

Options
  • 23-02-2010 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

hello, can anyone Here tell me why the age to be a permanent Deacon is 26 - 60? at my local Parish, the priest said it was people who were 35 to 60, yet the leaflet says 26-35 and under 60.

why the desire to only allow applicants of 26 to 35? does anyone know?

your help would be much appreciated

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

hello, can anyone Here tell me why the age to be a permanent Deacon is 26 - 60? at my local Parish, the priest said it was people who were 35 to 60, yet the leaflet says 26-35 and under 60.

why the desire to only allow applicants of 26 to 35? does anyone know?

your help would be much appreciated

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

There is no age, talk to your Bishop he has the last word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

alex73 wrote: »
    There is no age, talk to your Bishop he has the last word.

I sent an e-mail to Rev.John Gates who is the director for it.

I'm only 25 and turn 26 Christmas day of this year, applicants must have their applications in before the end of may, and I think they get assessed etc etc and then start study in October, which is only 3 months prior to my birthday so I'm waiting to see what the response from the director will be in relation to my predicament. are you sure there is no age?

Thanks for your kind replies
    Pax Christi
    Stephen<3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

1 Timothy 3:8-13 says:

8 Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain. 9 They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 And let them also be tested first; then let them serve as deacons if they prove themselves blameless. 11 Their wives likewise must [2] be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things. 12 Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well. 13 For those who serve well as deacons gain a good standing for themselves and also great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.

No mention of age there at all, I know of deacons in other churches of a similar age to yourself.

Got an e-mail back today, I must be over 35 and married five years, so I guess that gives me ten years to pray about it lol...:D:(:D:o:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Is marriage really a requirement or is it just that if married, you must be married for at least 5 years?

I can understand the latter...

• Advertisement

homer911 wrote: »
    Is marriage really a requirement or is it just that if married, you must be married for at least 5 years?

I can understand the latter...

Hi Homer, no Marriage is not a requirement, one can be celibate, its just that if you are a man who is married you must be for at least five years.

I think I can understand the whole five years requirement, basically before five years of your marriage anything can happen and you could get an annulment or your marriage could split up, so they really need to know you mean business and that your vocation is not just some sort of teenage phase, after five years of Marriage in the Catholic Church it is impossible for you to obtain an annulment and your marriage is considered set in stone.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

Advertisement